Whats in your pockets?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Whats in your pockets?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:34 pm

This probably has been covered a million times, but what calls do you rely on and why? Never tried Turkeys before and I'd be foolish not to try, but need advice on what calls are a must have. Been looking at reviews and it seems some of the cheaper calls dont have happy results. Are the spendier ones better? Let me know, Thanks :handgestures-thumbup:

Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
brancher147
500 Club

Re: Whats in your pockets?

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:18 pm

I started with cheap calls to learn and moved up from there and it seemed and still seems like the way to go for me. Im just getting the hang of a mouth call and started with a variety pack of cheap ones on Amazon just to figure out what I like and what works for me and what I will use. But they sound fine and I will carry them to hunt this year. With my style of run and gun hunting I find learning how turkeys use the area and getting where you need to be to call in a gobbler is way more important than being a good caller or having good calls.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:39 pm

brancher147 wrote:I started with cheap calls to learn and moved up from there and it seemed and still seems like the way to go for me. Im just getting the hang of a mouth call and started with a variety pack of cheap ones on Amazon just to figure out what I like and what works for me and what I will use. But they sound fine and I will carry them to hunt this year. With my style of run and gun hunting I find learning how turkeys use the area and getting where you need to be to call in a gobbler is way more important than being a good caller or having good calls.

Mouth call variety pack is something I should've tried a couple years ago. Some cuts work better for me, and some I can't run at all.

I also picked up a cherry classic crystal from Woodhaven. Should have got that a couple years ago instead of trying to make a cheap call work. I'm sure lots of guys do good with the cheaper calls. I kept screwing up my clucks and purrs last year when it counted most. This call is consistently easy to use.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:44 pm

Pot calls are probably the easiest to learn. Mouth calls are the cheapest and you don’t have to move anything but they take some time to learn. Box calls are kinds the old stand by but they have their limitations. Most of the newer pot calls you kinda get what you pay for. But I have an old Pittman, first call my dad ever bought me, and for some reason turkeys love the tone of that call. I end up using it every year over all other pot calls. I’m not endorsing Pittman as I doubt the new ones are made as good. For box call the Lynch’s are made very well and have a good sound. Can’t help on the mouth calls as I don’t like them. I have a small mouth and I am always gagging on them so I just stopped trying. But I do know they take a lot of trying different styles because of the way air flows in your mouth and if you can learn one, they are the way to go.
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:36 am

I’ve got all manner of calls in my vest but a mouth call is a must, at least for work where you can see the bird - they don’t miss much! My slate and box calls often work when they aren’t interested in a mouth call. Some birds will hammer on certain tones and not even respond to another. As far as choking on a mouth call there are youth sized diaphragms if that’s an issue or don’t be afraid to trim them up to fit - I usually trim mine up a bit - it’s just duct tape around the metal frame.

As far as sounding really good it’s more about knowing when to talk and when to shut up. I went with a friend last year and was totally impressed by his calling - in fact I felt like a one trick pony compared to him but I still kill the heck out of them. Like I said, just know when to talk and when not too. Most guys that aren’t successful over call. It’s fun to hear them gobble but just know he is wanting you to come to him and if you are constantly talking to him and getting him cranked he will probably be strutting where he can be seen and not coming to you.

Good luck,

Lee
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:27 am

Changes daily, have hundreds of custom calls from a lot of call makers. In addition I I build Pot call, scratch boxes & mouth calls on a very limited basis. I always have a few box calls & a few tube calls with me as well as a few pots. I sometimes run trumpets, push pins etc. Custom calls is a sickness. But its fun, Mike
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:49 am

Honestly, I just carry one diaphragm. I used to have a great crow call to make them shock gobble and I lost it in my woods. I looked for hours and couldn’t find it, it was a sad day. From that day forward, I’ve only used a diaphragm
Ryan
creepingdeth
500 Club

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:24 pm

Thanks much guys. Pretty much what I thought I'd hear. Most of what I need to learn is by doing it. I'm the cheapest guy I know and knew I'd probably need a small assortment of calls to get started, I just dont want to buy junk. Been out scouting (deer) and paying attention to scratches, turds(roosts), tracks, etc....Never had trouble running in to turkeys, but never have hunted them.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:35 pm

Last year was my first year of turkey hunting. I have alot to learn still. I carry a crow and owl locator calls, mouth and pot call i orderd from Shane Simpson that are awesome. And a box call. Probably dont need all of that but i got hooked and had to buy more calls. You will love it! Good luck
creepingdeth
500 Club

Unread postby creepingdeth » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:58 pm

The locator calls are the ones I'm stymied about...the hoot to roost and the crow midday. Seems those are the ones w/bad ratings...any ones stick out that are good??
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:56 pm

I just use my voice for both owl and crow. I don’t think you need to sound perfect to get one to gobble. Save your money.

Lee
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:57 am

Both of my locator calls where on the cheap side. Owl call works good but never had anything respond to the crow.
Bowmet

Unread postby Bowmet » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:10 am

I used to call competitively and most competition callers make their own or have their calls custom made. Now that I don’t have I need for those custom calls anymore, I use Pollards Elite calls for my mouth calls. They are top notch. For friction calls, I use wood haven or Lights Out custom calls. I usually just carry about 6 mouth calls and one glass call.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:59 am

brancher147 wrote:I started with cheap calls to learn and moved up from there and it seemed and still seems like the way to go for me. Im just getting the hang of a mouth call and started with a variety pack of cheap ones on Amazon just to figure out what I like and what works for me and what I will use. But they sound fine and I will carry them to hunt this year. With my style of run and gun hunting I find learning how turkeys use the area and getting where you need to be to call in a gobbler is way more important than being a good caller or having good calls.

I listened to a podcast recently on turkeys and calls.
The guy recorded live turkeys and the calls they make.
He said something to the effect that what we hear see and read about may not always be the best when it comes to calling as well as there may not be a too loud or soft or many times we call.

It was unreal what he recorded: the different soundS, the sounds that sounded fake, or how many times non-stop a live bird would call.
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
jwm1485

Unread postby jwm1485 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:40 pm

There are plenty of custom call makers that make good sounding calls for about $40-$50. I would look for a pot call and maybe a box call from one of them. I would get a few mouth calls to work on even if you don't feel comfortable using them in the woods this year it is good to start working on it. As far as locator calls I have a Harrison hooting stick which I really like and a old cheap crow call my dad gave me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”