First time turkey hunter looking for help

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

martyMSU
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/martin.rosendahl ... =bookmarks

First time turkey hunter looking for help

Unread postby martyMSU » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:55 pm

My 10 year old daughter has been bugging me to take her turkey hunting. Problem is, I've never turkey hunted and don't know the first thing about how to do it. Today a client says I can hunt turkey and deer with my daughter on their 120 acres (pic attached.) I was told to access from the east along the yellow (property to South is owned by another family member and ok to use for access as well.) Property is outlined in blue, she told me all the critters - turkey, deer, coyotes - hang out in the dinosaur shaped clearing (outlined) which is the highest point of the property and surrounding properties. She said there are game trails all over in that clearing and in the surrounding woods. So I've got a TON of questions because I can't pass this up. How do I hunt it? I've got a remington 870. Daughter has a mossberg 510 super bantam that she can bust clays with real well in the youth trap league. What kind of loads should we use? What choke should we use? What weather conditions will be most favorable? What calls should we use? Etc. Any info from the community here is welcomed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jdw
500 Club

Re: First time turkey hunter looking for help

Unread postby Jdw » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:34 pm

I would start the scouting process by finding a place or multiple places to listen for gobbling first thing in the morning or last thing in the evening.
Looking for tracks, scratching, dusting areas and other sign is helpful also but listening in the correct locations will be less likely to spook the birds.

Turkeys have excellent eyesight so being still and having good Camo is important.

If you can listen and observe what the birds are doing and set up in front of them it will make the calling much easier.

A box call is fairly easy to learn the basics on.

Watching videos like Calling all Turkeys and The Hunting Public will give you a good start on setups and calling technique.

Any shotgun will kill a turkey if it’s close enough but most guys use a tight choke and shells loaded for turkeys to increase their effective range. TSS and Long Beard XR are good shells.

Clear calm days are easier hunting as a general rule but the only time you don’t have a chance is when you’re not hunting.
martyMSU
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/martin.rosendahl ... =bookmarks

Re: First time turkey hunter looking for help

Unread postby martyMSU » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:53 am

Exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for, thanks for the help!

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”