What dedicated turkey gun

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hawthorne
500 Club

What dedicated turkey gun

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:56 am

I’ve been turkey hunting 20 years now and never owned a dedicated turkey shotgun. I’m ready to up grade. What do you guys recommend?I’ll buy expensive I don’t care. Buy once cry once. I don’t want this to be a debate about just using your grandpas regular shotgun.

Redman232

Re: What dedicated turkey gun

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:13 am

I think it largely depends on how you turkey hunt. If you're sitting in a blind I don't think it matters. I've tried using a benelli and a browning semi auto, my turkey hunts usually end, wet, muddy and bloody. Both guns jammed, I've returned to the same 870-12 ga i've had since I was 10. Its long and heavy, I think ideally I'd like to have a 20 gauge, pump, youth model with a synthetic stock, pistol grip with an eotech or aimpoint on top.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:20 am

I went thru this 10 years ago and had it narrowed down to a Benelli Super Black Eagle 2, Remington 870 super magnum, and a Stoeger.

I wanted to shoot 3.5" shells for both turkey and geese and ended up with the Benelli. It has performed FLAWLESSLY and I've killed a lot if stuff with it. I really liked the 870 super mag but figured I already had a few pump 12 ga and zero semi auto's so that's what made me go bigger.

The barrel on the Benelli was longer than the super mag, mainly because it was also a waterfowl gun. If that is an issue for you I'd suggest looking at the shorter pumps, Remington or Winchester. My old Winchester 1300 turkey specific gun has killed more of anything than any gun I own... but "only" 3" capability.

Hindsight on the 3 vs the 3.5... 3.5 ROCK me. I dont pattern my gun anymore. That being said, 3.5 HeviShot absolutely DESTROYS turkeys.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:39 am

muddy wrote:I went thru this 10 years ago and had it narrowed down to a Benelli Super Black Eagle 2, Remington 870 super magnum, and a Stoeger.

I wanted to shoot 3.5" shells for both turkey and geese and ended up with the Benelli. It has performed FLAWLESSLY and I've killed a lot if stuff with it. I really liked the 870 super mag but figured I already had a few pump 12 ga and zero semi auto's so that's what made me go bigger.

The barrel on the Benelli was longer than the super mag, mainly because it was also a waterfowl gun. If that is an issue for you I'd suggest looking at the shorter pumps, Remington or Winchester. My old Winchester 1300 turkey specific gun has killed more of anything than any gun I own... but "only" 3" capability.

Hindsight on the 3 vs the 3.5... 3.5 ROCK me. I dont pattern my gun anymore. That being said, 3.5 HeviShot absolutely DESTROYS turkeys.

Love my SBE 2!!!
Lines up perfectly for me
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:02 am

Redman232 wrote:I think it largely depends on how you turkey hunt. If you're sitting in a blind I don't think it matters. I've tried using a benelli and a browning semi auto, my turkey hunts usually end, wet, muddy and bloody. Both guns jammed, I've returned to the same 870-12 ga i've had since I was 10. Its long and heavy, I think ideally I'd like to have a 20 gauge, pump, youth model with a synthetic stock, pistol grip with an eotech or aimpoint on top.

I don’t use a blind. I like being mobile. I got my turkey this year on my 3rd set up of the day. I’ve been using just a Remington 870 express. The maximum range is 30-35 yds. I want something that will reach out to 50
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:04 am

muddy wrote:I went thru this 10 years ago and had it narrowed down to a Benelli Super Black Eagle 2, Remington 870 super magnum, and a Stoeger.

3.5 might be what I go to with the shorter barrel. I like the looks of the ones with the thumb hole stock. The Remington looks sweet
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:10 am

Really depends on your hunting style. Do you like to get them in close, or are you the type who likes to reach out long distances? 20 gauge set up correctly can be a killer on birds. Lighter, less kick, but you aren’t going to be taking 40-60 yard shots with it. Or you can go with a 3.5” cannon that might rip your shoulder off and dump birds at 70 yards. Different strokes for different folks.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:11 am

Hawthorne wrote:

3.5 might be what I go to with the shorter barrel. I like the looks of the ones with the thumb hole stock. The Remington looks sweet

Shorter barrel pumps are going to have unreal kick. If you want 3.5 go with a gas operated semi auto IMO.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:44 am

A buddy of mine shoots a 3.5” pump - can’t remember brand but he says it is like a small stick of dynamite going off on his shoulder!!

Bio1
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:56 am

I’ve got a Winchester SX2. I would not recommend. Not a fan. Supposed to be Turkey specific but I’ve also duck and Goose hunted with it. Patterns terrible.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:26 am

I've been using the Remington 870 Turkey/Waterfowl for 4 years now, shoots 3.5" and has a 28" barrel. I just added a carlsons heavyweight TSS turkey choke last season, patterns well out to 50yds. After that it starts to get a little scattered. I just put a handful of shells through it a few weeks back, the Hevi-Shot Triple Beards (3.5s) had the best pattern/cost ratio. I tried Hevi-Shot Triple Beards (3.5), Federal 3rd Degrees (3.5), and Winchester Long Beards (3). There was minimal difference in pattern at 50 with the HS and the Federals, but the Federals are $5 a shell....

Pros:
- 3.5"s
- Shorter barrel
- It's an 870, when you pull the trigger it goes off...

Cons:
- You're carrying a 12 gauge, weight.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:46 am

Hawthorne wrote:
Redman232 wrote:I think it largely depends on how you turkey hunt. If you're sitting in a blind I don't think it matters. I've tried using a benelli and a browning semi auto, my turkey hunts usually end, wet, muddy and bloody. Both guns jammed, I've returned to the same 870-12 ga i've had since I was 10. Its long and heavy, I think ideally I'd like to have a 20 gauge, pump, youth model with a synthetic stock, pistol grip with an eotech or aimpoint on top.

I don’t use a blind. I like being mobile. I got my turkey this year on my 3rd set up of the day. I’ve been using just a Remington 870 express. The maximum range is 30-35 yds. I want something that will reach out to 50

Rem 870 3.5” Magnum
Polish the barrel
XR tube and XR longbeard #5

The range your looking for will be a chip shot

Im a run n gunner too. Thats my exact setup

Polishing the barrel is huge. I tested a new Rem 870 Turkey before and after
Customer was pleasantly surprised when he test fired afterwards
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:04 am

I'm leaning towards dedicating my mosberg 935 to turkeys only. I've been converting it back and fourth between turkey and deer slug gun for a number of years but I really don't like it as a deer gun so much. A 3.5 inch slug sucks to shoot out of it and my ears have issues that make it a poor choice for me to shoot without hearing protection. It's a great turkey gun though, the recoil is not too bad and it patterns out very well.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:49 am

Look at a Savage 301 turkey in 20 gauge. Under $200 without a red dot or scope. Already comes with a turkey choke that is setup for TSS. Nice gun for the money. It leaning against the log.

ImageUntitled by cspot12, on Flickr
loganB85
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/brent.cannon.7

Unread postby loganB85 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:06 am

I turned my Benelli Supernova into a dedicated gobbler gun this year. I use a .655 Kick’s Gobblin Thunder choke. I put the Vortex Venon with a Burris Speed Bead mount on it this year. I bought the gun 10 years ago for $600 brand new. Choke was $50-$60, Venom was $230, and Burris mount was $70. I’m invested right around $1,000. I am completely satisfied with it. The barrel is 26” so it’s a little long but doesn’t bother me. With that being said $1,000 just for a shotgun in semi auto without any extras is normal. If you got the money to spend thats cool but if you wanted more of a budget gun I would go with a pump supernova or mossberg.
~L.B.C~

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”