Weather

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Moose
500 Club

Weather

Unread postby Moose » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:51 pm

So unfortunately the weather is turning for the worse for my turkey season. Lows in the 20s and highs in the high 30s to low 40s. With snow and high winds up to 30mph. How much will this type of weather affect my hunt? Would afternoon be better if its warmer due to our cold spell? Maybe none of it matters?

Ack

Re: Weather

Unread postby Ack » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:34 am

It won’t completely shut them down, but cold and windy definitely slows down the action. I usually find them on the downwind side of woodlots and other areas where they can get out of the cold wind. It probably would be better during the warmest part of the day, but could still be tough hunting. Just don’t hammer on calls if they aren’t responding....might be a good time to stalk in as close as you can and try to dump one.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:48 am

Thank you for the advice
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:06 am

Ack wrote:It won’t completely shut them down, but cold and windy definitely slows down the action. I usually find them on the downwind side of woodlots and other areas where they can get out of the cold wind. It probably would be better during the warmest part of the day, but could still be tough hunting. Just don’t hammer on calls if they aren’t responding....might be a good time to stalk in as close as you can and try to dump one.

Agree. Also want to add be ready when the weather breaks and the first nice day you get it should be really good hunting. I find with wind and bad weather turkeys get separated and gobblers seem to gobble more the first nice day after a few days of bad weather trying to locate hens again. We just had wind cold and snow for 2 days leading up to VA opener but opening day was sunny calm in the 50s and gobblers were pretty vocal.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:41 pm

Yeah leeward side of hills and woods, valleys in fields. They’ll still be turkeys. It’s just not as easy.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”