Live from the field 2020

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon May 25, 2020 6:58 am

Moved. Spotted a big bird pretty close to public. Was moving towards it, then a rainshower hit. Turned it around and couldn't call it back.

This was cool.

20200524_135454.jpg

Also hear grouse drumming.

EDIT: and some guy on neighboring private shooting at his range near where I wanted to check out. New plan needed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon May 25, 2020 7:11 am

Good luck greenhorn. My daughter and I bailed....going to go fishing instead. Blinds are hot :lol:
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon May 25, 2020 2:51 pm

Went to same spot as yesterday AM. 3 birds, including 1 strutter in field. Went for the closer option. Left the car a whole 10 minutes earlier, than yesterday! Set up with a small rise between me and the field. So I'd sneak to near the field edge. Every once in awhile. Had some hens and 1 tom. Show up one at a time. On these ventures. Couldn't entice anything over. Area I was in looked like it had been tore up by birds. At some point before yesterday's rain. Learned a little more. And saw a strutter in a field. On the far end of the property. Heading back into the public to roost. When I drove around the "block". Might not hunt tomorrow. Clothes stink really bad and need washing. I'm pooped. And a couple tenants want to cook out!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon May 25, 2020 4:08 pm

Nothing the rest of the day. Didn't get any night roost gobbles.

Might have been my last of the season. No gobbles to head back to, any birds seen have been well off public or have been hens... Kinda getting pointless.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon May 25, 2020 10:55 pm

I was sliding up the fenceline of a new place and just bumped a nice tom. He trotted away, then I tried cutting him off. Almost worked but he saw me first, putted and flew away.

I could puke.

:angry-fire:
----------
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue May 26, 2020 1:59 am

Went to the other side of the property thinking a similar situation was possible. It was. A tom in a field on private. Even gobbled... A first in two weeks. (not to my call, just a regular old gobble)

I had to plan a move and I decided to set up a hen deke and hide. I belly crawled into position, got the deke set up. Went to get set under a tree and the field sloped down towards the tree and it was a little open underneath. I think he caught some movement. Wing flapped and trotted away after I called. I went to look at this fenceline and there was a significant gap in it in one place. Knowing that, I would have set up a hen on public behind that and would have been more patient. Happens the first time at a place. :think:

Not thrilled with how that one turned out, but at least I knew he was there and made a move. The first one was a surprise because I almost walked past him in my 2 hours of sleep haze... :roll:

So a fun hunt, the best one in a long time. Not sure if I want to attempt chasing this one or two birds here or move on.
----------
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Tue May 26, 2020 2:50 am

greenhorndave wrote:Went to the other side of the property thinking a similar situation was possible. It was. A tom in a field on private. Even gobbled... A first in two weeks. (not to my call, just a regular old gobble)

I had to plan a move and I decided to set up a hen deke and hide. I belly crawled into position, got the deke set up. Went to get set under a tree and the field sloped down towards the tree and it was a little open underneath. I think he caught some movement. Wing flapped and trotted away after I called. I went to look at this fenceline and there was a significant gap in it in one place. Knowing that, I would have set up a hen on public behind that and would have been more patient. Happens the first time at a place. :think:

Not thrilled with how that one turned out, but at least I knew he was there and made a move. The first one was a surprise because I almost walked past him in my 2 hours of sleep haze... :roll:

So a fun hunt, the best one in a long time. Not sure if I want to attempt chasing this one or two birds here or move on.

Sounds like you’re getting closer. Hard to say without knowing how spooked they got but I would definitely consider heading back midday or early afternoon and see if they are around. Good luck!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue May 26, 2020 4:15 am

Woke up at 7:00 and decided to take a drive. Not all that many birds seen. None in the field I've been hunting by. And no birds in alot of the places I had been seeing them lately. Laundry duty today. Working on a plan for tomorrow!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue May 26, 2020 5:37 am

Mega long shot. Across the road, across a field. But he is FIRED UP! Answered a big, nasty, raspy set of yelps and is gobbling his head off.

I'm going to see where this one goes for giggles.
----------
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue May 26, 2020 11:18 am

I suspected that crazy gobbler wouldn't budge so I didn't spend much time on it. Entertaining though.

Took a nap and now I'm in the same property that I saw the toms earlier today. Worth a shot. We'll see.

Tricky because it got very windy. Can't hear much and they are less likely to gobble.
----------
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue May 26, 2020 1:15 pm

Nothing else.

Thus endeth my turkey season.

In which I was the turkey.
----------
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue May 26, 2020 1:21 pm

greenhorndave wrote:Nothing else.

It happens. You put in a great effort :clap:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue May 26, 2020 1:37 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:

Thank you sir. :D I'll post up learnings separately.
----------
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue May 26, 2020 3:02 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:

No worries, Walmart has butterballs. ;)
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue May 26, 2020 3:24 pm

muddy wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:

No worries, Walmart has butterballs. ;)

That’s what she said
----------

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”