New to turkey hunting and toms are silent.

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JimmyQ

New to turkey hunting and toms are silent.

Unread postby JimmyQ » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:42 am

So this is my first official season turkey hunting. I've hunted once or twice a season in the past but it was really just to get out and scout for deer. Where do you begin if you're a noob. In the past I've heard them gobble on the roost and then I went in that direction. What happens when they don't gobble? With deer I'm looking for a certain type of terrain, food and cover. Where do I begin the search? I'll be hunting in the panhandle of Florida. Any tip is greatly appreciated.

Ack

Re: New to turkey hunting and toms are silent.

Unread postby Ack » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:26 pm

You need to find the areas where they go to after fly down....that is where you will have the most success. Feeding and dusting areas are the best spots for you to be sitting later in the morning into the afternoon. Look for tracks, droppings, scratching and/or dust bowls and you should get into birds. It’s just a matter of finding the right Tom that wants to play.
JohnGalt1776

Unread postby JohnGalt1776 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:54 pm

When you hear them gobble in the dark, get as close to them as you can before they fly down. I would leave the flashlight off and go as fast as you can without making too much noise. How close you are going to be able to get is going to vary in different situations. Err on the side of being too far rather than spooking them. If they aren't interested in your calling and go in a different direction, don't be afraid to loop around and cut them off if you have enough real estate. Good luck!
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:57 pm

Turkeys are less adaptable than deer. They need Good roosting areas, water and food. Hens will be looking for thick cover for nesting and Toms will be looking for openings to strut in.
If you can find an area where those things come together it will be a good place to look for sign and listen for birds.

Don’t be afraid to expand your search to other locations if you’re not hearing gobbling or finding Tom tracks.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:26 pm

One thing about turkeys is they only leave tracks during daylight.

Tracks/scratchings are very important for figuring out new areas if birds aren’t gobbling.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:29 pm

I’d be pretty surprised if they aren’t talking in FL already. Have you been out to roost them or up early to listen? I lived outside of Savannah for years - they’d be talking good by now.

Lee
JimmyQ

Unread postby JimmyQ » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:44 am

I haven't gone out to roost any birds yet. I'm hunting a 8 sq mile parcel and heard one gobble Saturday and one on Sunday. They were easily a couple miles apart. While deer hunting the past few years I've heard several. Just seems like they've disappeared.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:02 am

Think about a terrain funnel that you can shoot does and immature bucks from. Fence rows and dry ground bottle necks between two wetlands from the top of my head .Toms will use them also in spring during the turkey rut.If you find scratching in the area in winter they will probably be there in spring also. Remember if your calling a turkey in it’s much easier if you get in front of where they want to go. Turning one around is much tougher
JimmyQ

Unread postby JimmyQ » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:49 pm

Bio1 wrote:I’d be pretty surprised if they aren’t talking in FL already. Have you been out to roost them or up early to listen? I lived outside of Savannah for years - they’d be talking good by now.

Lee

They're talking pretty good on private. I'm currently hunting public. And from what people I've met while hunting have said is they are pretty quiet on this parcel. Heavily pressured.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:34 pm

Terrain features. Lines of different habitat. Not too different than deer. I’ve had good success sitting near dust bowls on fencelines during mid day. Hens like to nest on and near fencelines too....I have no idea why cuz everything likes to run up and down those things.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:15 am

As far as roosting birds the evening before, getting close isn't ALWAYS best.

I've seen birds roosted high utilize gravity to touch down 300+ yards from the roost tree. If you're hunting flat terrain, I'd get as close as possible in an open area. If the terrain is steep, utilize features to predict all the possible scenarios.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”