How long do you hunt

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

thwack16
500 Club

Re: How long do you hunt

Unread postby thwack16 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:01 am

I’ve killed one or been apart of a kill at likely every hour of daylight. It can happen anytime.

If I had my choice, I’d hunt every sunrise of season and the subsequent couple hours then go along about my day. Unfortunately, life doesn’t allow that so I hunt whenever I can. Last year I killed two right after they flew down, 1 about an hour before sunset, and called one in for someone else at noon.

If I get a day with no obligations(on an out of state trip for instance), I hunt from can to can’t.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:02 am

I’m more of a patient hunter than run and gun when it comes to turkey hunting. I’ll sit the same spot for hours calling every 20 minutes. I’ve killed a bunch doing this at all hours of the day. A few have came in silent all I heard was their footsteps no gobbling clucks nothing.They will follow the terrain similar to deer
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:36 am

Thanks everyone. I guess i will try to stay out for the entire shooting hours for the day if work allows it. 1/2hr before sunrise to sunset.
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:11 pm

Hawthorne wrote:I’m more of a patient hunter than run and gun when it comes to turkey hunting. I’ll sit the same spot for hours calling every 20 minutes. I’ve killed a bunch doing this at all hours of the day. A few have came in silent all I heard was their footsteps no gobbling clucks nothing.They will follow the terrain similar to deer

I’m similar, my attempts at run ‘n gun have led to spooking the h€|| outta everything. I hunt a very limited piece of private that is a great travel area, so my patience very commonly will be paid off. Bring a good book, plenty of fluids, call occasionally, and enjoy the time in the woods. Start shrooming at 1 after closing time to find something in the spring woods that actually tastes good.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”