Lost My First Bird Ever Yesterday

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Racks&Beards

Lost My First Bird Ever Yesterday

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:51 am

Took my ground blind to the public woods yesterday for the first time this season. I was setup tucked just into the timber on the inside corner of a cut bean field edge by about 1:45. Around 2:20 I thought I heard a couple of yelps coming from the timber behind me, so I dug my mouth call out of my pack and made a few yelps of my own. 5 minutes later a nice big gobbler steps out of the timber 15 yards to my right. I grab my bow and come to full draw as he's walking straight into the field. He comes to a stop broadside (still at 15 yards). I release, and watch the arrow THWACK! right into the spot I was aiming at just at the top of his leg from what I saw. The gobbler jumps into the air as feathers fly everywhere. When he hits the ground he takes off running driectly away from me, and takes to the air disappearing from view as he glides down into the timber (with my arrow still in him as I could see the fletching sticking out from his left side). It appeared he was going down at last sight, but it was fairly windy so I never heard a crash or any flopping.

I give him about 30-45 minutes and took off to look for him. I ended up essentially grid searching about 25 or so acres of timber. I looked under every pile of brush and deadfall, and finally decided to give up after it got too dark. I never found any sign to go off of. No blood, feathers, or my arrow. My only assumption is that he was able to glide way further into the timber than I thought, or he made it all the way over across a creek to the neighboring private land. I just had zero evidence to tell me where else to look either way. :angry-cussingblack:

I've swung and missed at plenty of birds over the years, but his was the first one I've ever hit that I've lost :crying-yellow: (You'll have to ask burkhart about the story of the one that almost got away :lol: )

Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
Jdw
500 Club

Re: Lost My First Bird Ever Yesterday

Unread postby Jdw » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:14 pm

Sounds like a bummer. I have had a similar experience.

I was unaware there was an open turkey season this early in the year.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:33 am

Always a tough bird to kill with a bow. My guess is you hit low given that he was able to run and fly. What did the feathers look like?
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:45 am

Exact same thing happened to me a few years ago. I shot a big Tom and he flew off with my arrow. I have since went back to a shotgun for hunting turkeys
simpzenith
Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/simpzenith

Unread postby simpzenith » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:25 pm

Racks&Beards wrote:I release, and watch the arrow THWACK! right into the spot I was aiming at just at the top of his leg from what I saw.

You want to hit them right where the wing connects to the body, not where the legs connect. There's nothing in that area that will kill them in a timely manner.
Public Land Deer & Turkey Hunts: http://www.YouTube.com/simpzenith
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:50 am

Jdw wrote:Sounds like a bummer. I have had a similar experience.

I was unaware there was an open turkey season this early in the year.

You get 2 archery turkey tags in MO for the archery season which didn't end until Jan 15th
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:55 am

simpzenith wrote:
Racks&Beards wrote:I release, and watch the arrow THWACK! right into the spot I was aiming at just at the top of his leg from what I saw.

You want to hit them right where the wing connects to the body, not where the legs connect. There's nothing in that area that will kill them in a timely manner.

I think you're right that it was just a low shot after replaying it in my head for a few days afterwards.
VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:48 am

I have shot 4 turkeys with a bow and I’ve never recovered one. I think the best case scenario you either brake a wing or shoot in the head, otherwise they fly off and are almost impossible to find
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:54 am

VaBowKill5 wrote:I have shot 4 turkeys with a bow and I’ve never recovered one. I think the best case scenario you either brake a wing or shoot in the head, otherwise they fly off and are almost impossible to find

That sucks, man. My brother is the same way. He's never recovered an archery turkey.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:17 am

Same thing happened to me the only time I ever shot one with a bow. My hit looked good but it ran off never to be seen again. Next time I think I'll try those giant broadheads and shoot for the head.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:39 pm

Grizzlyadam wrote:Same thing happened to me the only time I ever shot one with a bow. My hit looked good but it ran off never to be seen again. Next time I think I'll try those giant broadheads and shoot for the head.

I've killed more than a dozen turkeys with a bow using many different broad heads over the years, but imo you are better off using a large cutting diameter head. I switched to the two blade Dead Ringer Trauma heads that are adjustable from 2 3/4" to over 3". I've killed 3 birds with them and not one ran off. However, shot placement is key!! I always aim just above the bronze spot which is essentially where the wing bone connects to the body.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”