turkey hunting in windy rainy weather???

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rfickes87
500 Club

turkey hunting in windy rainy weather???

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:36 am

25mph winds tommorow. Anyone have any suggestions or last minute tips for opening day here in PA. Rainy and windy as heck.

"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Jdw
500 Club

Re: turkey hunting in windy rainy weather???

Unread postby Jdw » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:06 am

Hunt Leeward or sheltered areas, I slow down a good bit and try to be prepared for a bird to come in silent
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:09 am

Open areas - turkeys can't hear in rain/wind as well as they can on calm, dry days ...I observe more birds in open terrain (fields etc) and their vision serves as primary defense.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:36 am

I hunt in hilly regions and the birds like to roost in areas that will shield them all they can

Off roost on nasty days, same thing, sides of deep hollors

If the rain stops put the glasses to work! They like to get in areas and try to dry. If the temps are cooler on you, then look for areas they can get both sunshine and wind to help dry faster and warm a bit

If you plan on calling dont expect your calls to go very far in high winds. I have had good lick with loud raspy box calls in between wind speeds slowing down

Good luck!!
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:06 am

I was walking and calling in high wind the other day. Would call about every 100 yards or before terrain break. Was within 80 yards of a hen before she heard me and answered and came running down the gun barrel. No Tom with her unfortunately...
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:12 am

I get into low lying areas out of the wind. I hate turkey hunting in wind.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
First Sit

Unread postby First Sit » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:08 am

Depends I'm assuming hill country in PA? If the wind was calm the day before and at night you often times get the first couple hours before the wind kicks up so you don't usually see a roost change. But when that wind kicks up they will seek sheltered out of wind areas. In hill country that will be in draws and leeward sides of hills. They will.most likely roost in those spots too that evening even if the next day is calm. Flat farm land can be tougher to determine out of wind areas onna map it usually takes boots on ground knowledge to locate em. But small humps or leeward sides of larger timber blocks. Tall lodge pole pines tend to get really noisy and I've seen birds sort of abandon them in high winds but they like them in rain.

If you find birds on windy days keep that spot in mind as they picked it for a reason. I see them commonly use the same areas in future years on windy days. My dad's Iowa bird last year was in 30 mph winds. We tucked down into a cedar draw that we saw them in before in prior years during windy days. When we got down in the draw it was much calmer in the bottom. We set up and after 3 hrs a bird responded and came in. This was the afternoon too around 4 or so so the wind was cranking good for a while by then too.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”