When are turkeys most inactive

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

When are turkeys most inactive

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:02 am

Besides when they are sleeping or on the roost, what time of day would you say turkeys are most inactive this time of year.

If you see activity all day throw it out there. If your location is not under your forum name, please include your place on the globe. I'm in SE Michigan and have an opinion, but want to see what others have to say.

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Jdw
500 Club

Re: When are turkeys most inactive

Unread postby Jdw » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:08 am

Are you talking about all turkey movement or Tom gobbling/vocal activity?
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:17 am

Jdw wrote:Are you talking about all turkey movement or Tom gobbling/vocal activity?

Pretty much all turkey activity. When is there lazy part of the day, if there is one?
Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Unread postby Cchez » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:25 am

In my experience, weather affects their activity more than time of day. Ive shot birds at all points in the day in Nebraska. But the weather definitely has played a role in their vocal activity. They seem to enjoy nice weather, much like us. I've had days where its started out rainy and windy, and not heard them. But as soon as the weather cleared up they started talking their heads off. The weather definitely also changes my tactics for them. I've found on windy days i tend to find them in secluded areas rather than being out in the open. On super hot days, ive had the best success in the morning before it gets too warm. Rain seems to tighten their lips, but i still have shot them out in fields roaming around. Im no turkey pro, but these are some of the tendencies that i've noticed while hunting them. I'm also hunting Merriam/eastern hybrids. Not sure if the other subspecies are any different.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:11 am

I can't say that I have noticed any particular time of day being more inactive than another... There are different things they are doing, and places they go, but they are active all day... If your referencing calling them in, I would say in the morning when they are with hens its pretty tough but seems to get better midday when the Toms separate from the hens. The last couple hours of the day it seems kind of hard to pull them when they are heading to roost... But as far as moving around activity... All day from roost to roost.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:09 am

This year it seems like they're most inactive whenever I set foot in the woods. Really having to work just to see something this spring.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:37 am

I am not a turkey expert so I don't know about specific times. But, I do know this; I was out this morning in rainy weather with some storms moving in and out and there was barely a peep in the woods in an area that I KNOW there are a lot of turkeys. So, a tough morning for me, but hoping that tomorrow morning (nice weather) gets them going.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
First Sit

Unread postby First Sit » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:52 am

During spring Turkey season the only time I really see turkeys what I would consider inactive is on hot days midday usually 1 to 3 PM they seek shade and seem to just loaf around a spot about half a football field or smaller in size. In the midwest and great lakes area I see that usually when temps hit mid 80s and higher. That really depends on a lot of factors and typically they are fairly active all day. They might not call but they are there.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:51 am

Uncle Lou wrote:
Jdw wrote:Are you talking about all turkey movement or Tom gobbling/vocal activity?

Pretty much all turkey activity. When is there lazy part of the day, if there is one?

I am in hill country with creek bottoms and a mixture of cow pasture and hay fields on private property and wooded hills with old strip mines on public.

Early season when the turkeys are in big flocks I see them moving all day but they are not moving far. They seem to be very predictable in their movements. I see more movement close to roost time and they slowly feed the rest of the day.
As the season goes on the hens start looking for nesting areas and then transition to spending more time on the nest.
The toms go from strutting all day in a small area to traveling to find hens.
I have seen hens roosting mid day and it seems they are more likely to dust midday.
I agree that most of the time rain and high wind reduce their movement.
There are lots of variables but if I had to pick a time with the least activity it would be mid afternoon. And most activity morning and evening within an hour of roost time.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:23 am

really liked the responses, especially the weather related observations from cody. I like first sit seem to see a mid day period of loafing. Kicked to many up doing nothing except laying around.

My experience they are very active around fly down, lots of morning activity and then a bit of a lull but they are astute. Then they seem to take a break and lay around for a while. I am sure there are exceptions, and many situations that could keep them active at mid day, and all day.

Had a friend down the road scouting for deer and jumped a group just today. They scared the crap out of him because they were laying around and he walked up on them. It was our turkey opener in Michigan today, and the weather was sunny and hi of around 70.

Have another friend down in that area (Highland Rec Area) and he saw a good flock this morning, but some other hunters came in and pushed them off. He went back this evening, and he bumped one on his way in.

Monday morning quarterbacking here, but think my friend hunting could have sat in the truck drinking coffee and see where all the hunters go. Circle around and might have gotten some pushed his way. A late morning to mid day hunt might have worked better and catch the tail end of their active period before the loafing. During breeding season there may be like dan said not an inactive period, but the hunters sure seam to disappear after the morning hunt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”