Opening morning in Wisconsin...

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Opening morning in Wisconsin...

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:51 pm

Sitting here with a tag for 1st season sipping coffee and thinking about turkey seasons past... When I grew up there were no turkeys around here. There was a big project at some point to re-introduce turkeys. Back in the days when the population finally got high enough to actually hunt turkeys if you were fortunate enough to draw a tag, I drew my 1st tag for the Necedah wildlife area. I had never even seen a turkey in the wild ever, and never heard one gobble, or knew anything about calling.

I bought a VHS turkey video and wore it out. Went and got a box call and mimicked the calling on the video then headed to Necedah for a week to live out of the back of my truck. I think that was the mid 1980's. Funny how much turkey hunting has changed since then.

You could only hunt in the morning back in those days, and only had 5 days to hunt, but I hunted hard and searched for birds all day long hunting and scouting. I never saw or heard a bird on that entire hunt. Not even out of the truck window.

After that uncle Bill ( R.I.P.) was stopping to visit my Mom every Tuesday and I would occasionally run into him. He was a lonely man who tried hard to get people to visit with him. He talked about all the turkeys on his land in Montello and invited me up to hunt.

On the 1st hunt at his place I was wandering across his property when I saw something black moving in the distance... It was a turkey. Then I could see another. They fanned briefly. This was the 1st time I ever saw a turkey. I got against a tree and tried calling. They completely ignored me. So I started crawling closer. I eventually got to a little less than 50 yards and took a shot. The bird went down and I ran over there to claim my Jake. It was the 1st turkey I ever seen, and I got him.

That is what started this fascinating journey chasing turkeys. and today as I wait for Crazy Greg to show up, I smile and relive all the old hunts. The good, the bad, and the ones who shaped me.

As you head out to chase the elusive thunder chicken, take a moment to relive past hunts, the people who shared those hunts with you, and the great memories of days past.

muddy

Re: Opening morning in Wisconsin...

Unread postby muddy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:16 pm

You're writing at 0251 at night... good gracious and good luck
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:33 am

8-)

Good luck Dan. I'm out in the woods too :dance:
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:26 am

Good rite up Dan!!
Its fun to recall memories when afield
I often find myself revisiting past hints, especially after loved ones I shared hints with have gone on before us

Good luck Dan and JM
homelessadam

Unread postby homelessadam » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:28 am

Called a big group of bird in on public land this morning and my Dad was able to lay out the strutter.

Not much better than calling a big woods bird in with no decoys or blind.
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:37 am

homelessadam wrote:Called a big group of bird in on public land this morning and my Dad was able to lay out the strutter.

I called in my dad’s first bird a while back. Honestly my favorite hunt of all time. Enjoy the good times, Adam!
“You have to pay your dues”
Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:11 am

I called in a dog and his master this morning. They then proceeded to do a circle around me twice and then posted up about a 100 yards away. Got to love public land!!
homelessadam

Unread postby homelessadam » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:02 pm

peteherbst wrote:
homelessadam wrote:Called a big group of bird in on public land this morning and my Dad was able to lay out the strutter.

I called in my dad’s first bird a while back. Honestly my favorite hunt of all time. Enjoy the good times, Adam!

Yeah I’d almost rather just call for him. We’ve Had a lot of good ones with him behind the gun.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”