Going after my first gobbler

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Forkhorn

Re: Going after my first gobbler

Unread postby Forkhorn » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:25 am

Mossyhorns wrote:I got him..big gobbler down baby.... story and pics to come this evening I’m pumped

Awesome!! Congrats Mossy!! :dance:

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:55 am

Congrats.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:05 am

Way to go.
Mossyhorns

Unread postby Mossyhorns » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:09 am

I had an awesome opening morning of the Kentucky Spring Turkey season. Started out a little slow. Got in the blind before light and sat out the decoys, we had a sitting hen with a strutting jake about 2-3 yards behind her on a hill side 18 yards away. i just had the field brush cut earlier in the year and just this past week or so it was already starting to pop out some grasses. well yes we did set up too close, nothing was gobbling on the roost, via and owl call or even with some soft clucking, right at 6:50 my buddy let out a hard call and flutter, flutter, flutter, off they popped right up above us. since we heard that we didn't say anything but waited about 10 minutes and then hit a glass call. and gobble, gobble, gobble, bam, over here and bam over there.. i could hear them getting closer with every gobble so i went ahead and got my gun up against my shoulder. One last gobble from what i assume was the one i killed. and then i saw him out of the corner of my eye.

he was on a deadsprint heading right towards or set up. i didn't take the gun to him i just let him come to me about a yard before the decoys. and i let him have it. It was awesome. very exciting, heck i swear it was like i had just shot a monster buck with the adrenaline running through me, AWESOME!!! waited a little bit and then went and packed him out took care of him
I can say i will definitely be spending some more money on calls and stuff to get ready for next spring. He ended up having a 10-1/4" Beard and 1-1/4" Spurs and was 19.5 pounds. i fried part of his breast up and me and my wife and daughter thoroughly enjoyed it. Hes my first and im really proud of him, hopefully the first of many.
Also on a side not any tips on putting my fan on that plaque other than Salting, and how long does it take to dry out?
Yeah, well....sometimes nothin can be a real cool hand.
-Cool Hand Luke
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:54 pm

I separate the 3 sections of feathers, remove the little tail bone, and douse it with borax. Then I brush off and replace the borax 6 or 7 times over the course of a couple weeks. Then really really REALLY brush all the borax off and JB weld it all together.

camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:25 pm

Congrats! That is one nice bird for sure.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:51 pm

Glad you got him....congrats! :clap:
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:11 am

Congratulations but be carful this turkey hunting stuff can be addicting.
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:28 am

muddy wrote:I separate the 3 sections of feathers, remove the little tail bone, and douse it with borax. Then I brush off and replace the borax 6 or 7 times over the course of a couple weeks. Then really really REALLY brush all the borax off and JB weld it all together.

I second the borax instead of salt. Its cheap enough at the grocery store and a box will usually last you quite a few turkey fans. Remove as much of the meat and fat as you can with a knife or scissors, rub some borax on it, scrape some more off, and repeat. The granules of the borax will act as a abrasive compound and help take some of the meat off if you use your finger nail or even a brass brush. Once you get off all the meat/fat you possibly can, put some more borax on it and let it dry in the position that you want it. I used 2 part epoxy to glue it all together.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:24 am

Borax also repels a type of bug that will lay eggs in the fan meat and make a huge mess as it eats and destroys the fan.

Like stated above, get as much meat off as possible. An old wire brush works wonders after a week of borax. Do that a few times and you're gold.

Mossyhorns

Unread postby Mossyhorns » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:32 am

muddy wrote:Borax also repels a type of bug that will lay eggs in the fan meat and make a huge mess as it eats and destroys the fan.

Like stated above, get as much meat off as possible. An old wire brush works wonders after a week of borax. Do that a few times and you're gold.

Yikes sounds like I need some BORAX pronto. I don’t want any bugs to eat it up... out of town till thursday night but befor I left this morning I shook off the old salt and doused it down again. Hopefully it will be alright till I can get back and put some borax on it
Yeah, well....sometimes nothin can be a real cool hand.
-Cool Hand Luke
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:50 am

Congrats mossyhorns! Great looking gobbler :dance: :clap: :clap:

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”