Roosting locations change based on weather

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The Runt

Roosting locations change based on weather

Unread postby The Runt » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:38 am

I am not much of a Turkey Hunter. Starting to get more serious about it as my kids are getting to the age where they can hunt.

So, as the title states have you guys noticed any changes or patterns with roosting locations based on weather. In addition, do they fly down different? For example when they fly down do they tend to fly down into the wind, or with the wind at their back?

I live in Eastern Wisconsin, where the terrain is mostly flat with small woodlots around.

Ack

Re: Roosting locations change based on weather

Unread postby Ack » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:24 am

In an area with ag and small woodlots the birds will typically have one or two main roosting areas, which generally are not weather dependent. Only time they might be is in the winter, but I assume you are wondering about in season.

As far as flying down, if the woods is all dry they can and will go whichever way they feel like that day. Food, hens and standing water can dictate where the tom will fly down.

Main thing is to know where they go once they hit the ground....that will be your best spot to set up. It's much easier to call a bird to where he already wants to go than trying to bring him back from the opposite direction.
The Runt

Unread postby The Runt » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:05 am

Thanks for the info! Trying to shorten up the learning curve!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:20 am

I have noticed high winds will change turkeys from their “typical” roosting trees.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:57 am

I have seen more changes in turkey movement related to weather.
I see them more in open areas in the rain and in sheltered, low places or leeward areas in high wind.

I am hunting hills so they usually have some shelter in their preferred roosting areas. I don’t see much difference in roosting areas.

It might be different in your area. I would spend some time early and late near roosting areas and see what they do.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:28 pm

I have never noticed a difference or at least not something that is really patternable that I have noticed. In rainy weather they usually hit the open fields after coming off the roost from my experience.

I agree with the above that ideally you are in the direction that they want to head anyway.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”