Quick question before youth hunt

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

samo5685

Quick question before youth hunt

Unread postby samo5685 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:45 am

I’m taking my sons on their first turkey hunt in the morning(ages 9&10). A friend has let us hunt some private land and we have found a good number of birds. I have always used just a hen decoy or no decoy. Always looking to try a new tactic, what decoy set up would you use if you had the following to choose from? Primos hen and jake, 2 foam hens, and a turkey fan. After watching one of the hunting beast videos with the jake and turkey fan I’m leaning towards giving it a try in the morning. Thoughts.

Jdw
500 Club

Re: Quick question before youth hunt

Unread postby Jdw » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:45 pm

I would lean slightly towards the jake and hen since I have had a few subordinate birds shy away from a strutter decoy but I have not tried a fan only.
It is fun using a strutter decoy a lot of the time you have to kill the bird to save the decoy.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Re: Quick question before youth hunt

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:40 pm

Jdw wrote:I would lean slightly towards the jake and hen since I have had a few subordinate birds shy away from a strutter decoy but I have not tried a fan only.
It is fun using a strutter decoy a lot of the time you have to kill the bird to save the decoy.

X2, can't go wrong with a Jake deke, if you make your own fan, trim it up to make it look like a Jake, couldn't hurt to have both!
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”