My son’s first hunt

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

camelcluch
500 Club

My son’s first hunt

Unread postby camelcluch » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:42 am

My youngest is 4 years old and asked to go hunt turkey today. He was super excited and changed into his “hunting” shirt and an orange jacket. He wanted the jacket so he wouldn’t get “boomed.” I grabbed a call and he grabbed his bow. He walked with me for about a half hour. Then his world was rocked. After a few calls and his special crow call he got a thundering gobble. He was super good and after about 40 minutes he got to see a big ton strut and gobble about 60 yards away. No shot was available but he didn’t care. Awesome day.

backstraps

Re: My son’s first hunt

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:41 am

Man I am so happy you two got to experience that together!! I hope he is now hooked and you have a lifetime hunting partner!!

I know first hand how special those days in the field together are, especially at such an early age!

My daughter was 3 when she went on her first "turkey hunt" with ole Dad. She was all good until the gobbler was 25 yards in front of us searching for what was making those sweet sounds. He was gobbling his head off. My daughter ask me, are you not going to get him? I laughed and told her no. I didnt even have a weapon with me :lol: She is grown and still hunts with me today, I am not sure which she likes best turkey or deer hunting, but if I were to guess its turkey :D

Congrats on your sons first hunt!!
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:33 pm

Thanks. He has had a busy year. He sat with me in a ground blind for deer a few times and got to here his first gobble today. He got home and told his mom that the turkey was looking for a girl to kiss....
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:02 pm

Love seeing kids in the outdoors 8-) Hope you two put a big ol' tom down. Either way, each day afield is a memory you can hold on to forever. I brought my daughter deer hunting last fall when she was 3. She's loving it for now and even requests deer hunting stories at bed time. Any time we can get our kids outdoors its parenting done right.

Good luck!
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:44 pm

That’s pretty neat!
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”