Decoys

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Iabow

Decoys

Unread postby Iabow » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:34 pm

Hey guys, haven't been turkey hunting in 15 years and my sister wants to chop a head off with her new bow I got her. So would you recommend what decoys are good now a days that don't cost an arm and a leg? Looking to try to get her a up close shot for her first hunting experience. I have those old feather flex ones but they seen better days. Thanks fellas.

Luke Carpenter

Re: Decoys

Unread postby Luke Carpenter » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:05 pm

I'm a big turkey hunter and we probably have at least 20 decoys. My favorite ones are the flex tone thunder series because the stake folds right into them and they look like the avian x decoys for half the price. But they're a little more expensive around 40 bucks apiece. I always get my decoys after season because you can get them for way cheaper. But if you want to get some good ones for a good price I would look into HS snood decoys. Usually they have rebates for $10 back and if you get them on sale I've got them for $10-15 apiece. Turkeys aren't that picky over decoys I've seen lots of Turkey's shot and shot some of my first ones over the foam decoys. If your feather flex ones aren't bad I would paint them up good and use those to. I once shot a bird over a feather flex my grandpa ran over with a lawn mower. There was only a half a decoy left and it worked fine with a new paint job. In early season the turkeys are all flocked up usually as many decoys as you got to put out is best but obviously one works fine to. I would go with 2 hens and a Jake decoy. If you get more than one hen definitely get a feeder hen we just started using them in are spreads and they work great. Hope this helps you guys bag a bird this spring.
Galatians 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:19 pm

If I was only going to use a single decoy it would be a jake.

Otherwise hens and jake in combo would be less likely then hens and a Tom to scare a subordinate bird.

Sometimes when you are only using hens the Tom will strut and hang up waiting for them to come to him.
Iabow

Unread postby Iabow » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:15 pm

Thank you guys that was very insightful, I appreciate it. I found both the HS and the Flex Tones at about the same price, that is for a jake with a hen. HS has a 20$ rebate but says for the strut lite ones not the snood ones. You prefer the Flex Tone over the HS?

Not sure my Foam ones can be salvaged but might try. You make a good point Jdw about the toms hanging up waiting for then hens to come to him, makes alot of sense. Hoping to get one close and showing off a little for her first hunting experience. Thank you again guys.
Luke Carpenter

Unread postby Luke Carpenter » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:41 pm

I messed up. The ones I have are the hs strut lite not the snood decoys. One big thing to think about is that the flex tones don't collapse there hard there stake is also shorter than normal. The hs one will flatten out for packing and there stake is longer but it isn't connected either so I've lost a couple. When I'm hunting by myself I like to pack 2 strut lites in my vest. But I almost always hunt with others so each person taking 1 flex tone isn't as bad. I like the look of the flextone a little better and the fact you can't lose the stake. I like the hs if I'm by myself or need to pack multiple decoys up. So it's all situational but for the most part I use 1 flextone upright hen and if I have room a jake.
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Luke Carpenter

Unread postby Luke Carpenter » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:50 pm

I don't know how to post pics so you'll have to try the link. This is my brother with his birds from last year he shot them both inside ten yards. This will show you how they look in the woods. The decoy on the right is hs, middle is flextone, and left is lucky duck. They all look different and they all work. If the link doesn't work copy it and try it on Google. Let me know if it works.

https://vault.myvzw.com/webcs/app/share ... 0x0QEAbfu6
https://vault.myvzw.com/webcs/app/share ... 7ajE1yuPy0
Iabow

Unread postby Iabow » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:39 am

Congrats to your little brother, awesome job!!!

Thanks for sharing the pictures, that really shows a difference in my eyes. I am with you, I think that Flex Tone looks quite a bit better but I can see the trade offs you are talking about. I use to run and gun in the mid day to afternoon period and didn't even hunt mornings at all so the HS with work better for that. Taking my sister with a bow and a blind might lean that way just to keep the amount of bulky stuff down to a minimum. That Flex Tone looks dang good though.

Kind of eye balling that Avian X Jake 1/4 strut and then just using the cheap hens I have but finding it hard to pull the trigger on 80$ for one decoy. Thanks again, you have been most helpful. Hope you guys have a great season!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:02 am

Opinions vary, here are mine...

Foam deeks work but I never had great luck with them getting a bird in close enough, and standing still enough, to work on archery head shots. I bought some Dave Smith deeks and have NEVER regretted them. I can put my jake deek 5 steps from my blind and many times the tom ends up right there, close and personal, then dead.

DSD customer service is also the absolute best if anyone I've ever encountered. I had a hard shell decoy of theirs fall onto concrete and absolutely shatter. I contacted them and initially they said they couldn't fix it, the decoy was a 1st generation after all. I accepted it and moved on. That afternoon the head guy at DSD emailed me saying that he wanted to TRY to fix the old girl just to see if he COULD! I mailed the pieces in and 2 weeks later they send her back, epoxied up inside and out and with a new rubberized paint job, unreal. I bought a Jake deek 2nd hand and the head pulled off by my own stupidity. Sent it in and they melted it back on, reinforced it, then gave it a flocked paint job for free. Couldn't believe it

You CAN'T BEAT Dave Smith Decoys, they are worth every dang penny.

But that's my opinion.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Luke Carpenter

Unread postby Luke Carpenter » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:21 am

If you want to save money in the long run get the minimum that works this spring. I've got 20+ decoys over the last 8 years and have spent less than 250 dollars. I've never bought a decoy that wasn't on sale. I've picked up decoys in May and June for 75% off or more. I've got several from walmart on sale after season and Midwayusa is a great place to get them cheap to after season. If you wait and look around you can save a lot. Here's a good deal with the rebate I got all these for $40 last year after season.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/56730 ... gJ_RvD_BwE
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:06 pm

muddy wrote:Opinions vary, here are mine...

Foam deeks work but I never had great luck with them getting a bird in close enough, and standing still enough, to work on archery head shots. I bought some Dave Smith deeks and have NEVER regretted them. I can put my jake deek 5 steps from my blind and many times the tom ends up right there, close and personal, then dead.

DSD customer service is also the absolute best if anyone I've ever encountered. I had a hard shell decoy of theirs fall onto concrete and absolutely shatter. I contacted them and initially they said they couldn't fix it, the decoy was a 1st generation after all. I accepted it and moved on. That afternoon the head guy at DSD emailed me saying that he wanted to TRY to fix the old girl just to see if he COULD! I mailed the pieces in and 2 weeks later they send her back, epoxied up inside and out and with a new rubberized paint job, unreal. I bought a Jake deek 2nd hand and the head pulled off by my own stupidity. Sent it in and they melted it back on, reinforced it, then gave it a flocked paint job for free. Couldn't believe it

You CAN'T BEAT Dave Smith Decoys, they are worth every dang penny.

But that's my opinion.

x2.....buy once cry once. Same thing as buying a Lone Wolf stand......DSD's will last a lifetime.
Iabow

Unread postby Iabow » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:19 am

I hear what you guys are saying about those Dave Smiths, they look incredible and USA made. They are just out of the hunting budget for this season and not knowing if this is something she might want to continue or not. Maybe save up for next season or after season sale. I agree on purchasing quality though, I am seeing that more and more.

Thanks for the link Luke, found the HS jake and hen combo on ebay and with a 5$ coupon and the rebate it would end up being 25$ for the pair. Probably will end up going that way then see if I can find those Dave Smiths after season if she likes turkey hunting or the fire gets going again for me on the thunder chickens.

Not going to lie though the DS are calling to me lol, I want her to have a good time and if it is one and done they resale well it seems. Thanks again for the help guys, I really do appreciate all the input. Hope you all have a great season.
heathcpr

Unread postby heathcpr » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:16 am

Piggybacking on this thread, what advice do people have regarding turkey decoy set ups, how many, what position, and where in relation to your set up? Does your approach with decoys change based on time of day (off the roost va mid morning vs afternoon)? Lastly, I often travel a long ways on public when turkey hunting. If I were only to carry one decoy in these situations what would you recommend.

I do not care about brand preferences, just curious about set-up Also I’ve considered trying turkeys with my bow this year. Does this change anything in terms of decoy set up?

I hunt primarily farm country, river bottoms, and marshes. Thanks in advance for all the help.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:51 pm

I have tried Tom jake and hen decoys in several combinations. IMO 1 jake and 1 hen in breeding position is my favorite set up.
If you are looking to kill a dominant Tom and don’t care if you run some subordinate birds off then using a Tom in strut is a blast.

I kill more turkeys without decoys then with them.

I usually use them in open areas.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:47 pm

Personally I have not seen any difference in using different decoys at different times of the day or season. I'm using my strutter, jake and hen most times, unless I don't feel like hauling them in.....this is hunting with a bow where I need to bring in and hold birds close for a shot.

Running and gunning with the shotty I usually won't take any dekes and use terrain to get the birds close enough for a shot.

My go-to deke is my feathered strutter....have never run off any birds with it...they always run to it instead and beat the snot out of it. Out performs my DSD's every time, all season long.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:46 pm

Decoying turkeys, like any decoyed hunting, is all about knowing how to use them! Turkeys are hands down my favorite animal to hunt this far! Yes, You can kill them without a lot of scouting but I put a lot of time in locating and patterning them. In the early season a larger decoy set is my go to, I'll have a strutter Jake and at least two hens, for the most part on every setup but you DO NOT need a strutter to be successful everytime you go out! A single hen decoy and knowing where birds are at different times of day will be just as lethal! I've really grown partial to these Montana 2d flat decoys, you sacrifice some angling but I've had great success with them in the past two seasons. I still had a Tom come in and try to fight the 2d decoys, even though they are flat! To boot, you can grab 3 of them for close to 60$.
@ heathcpr- early season = larger setups, a couple hen dekes w/ a jake will work great, but you can get away with a single hen just the same! But later in the season you want to lean towards single hen setups, as the later the season gets the more hens are breaking up to nest.
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”