Whats your favorite kind of call?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Re: Whats your favorite kind of call?

Unread postby Arrowbender » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:30 pm

Yea, I guess I'll agree. It seems that pressured birds get used to dia. easier.
As far as good or bad dia. -- I've thrown a lot of them away before they made it to the woods. And I've had alot of my favorites from one year be worthless the next.

ACK, how long do those customs last? Do you just clean them in soda and store in the fridge? How much $$?
I would like to try a custom, but am leary, I've been pretty disatisfied with some fairly expensive calls.

Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Arrowbender wrote:Yea, I guess I'll agree. It seems that pressured birds get used to dia. easier.
As far as good or bad dia. -- I've thrown a lot of them away before they made it to the woods. And I've had alot of my favorites from one year be worthless the next.

ACK, how long do those customs last? Do you just clean them in soda and store in the fridge? How much $$?
I would like to try a custom, but am leary, I've been pretty disatisfied with some fairly expensive calls.

I usually replace my calls every spring, but I'm sure if you took care of them you could get a couple seasons out of them. While I get them for a little less, Illusion Systems sells Jeff's calls for about $20. I know, that's a lot of cash to gamble on when you don't even know how the call will perform for you, but to be honest I've had unbelievable success with mine.

If you would like to hear a little of what these calls sound like, feel free to check a couple of instructional videos on using diaphragm calls that my friend Steve Davis put together.....you may even pick up on a thing or two that may make yours sound even better!

Mouth Call Basics
http://www.vimeo.com/3295947

Advance Your Calling
http://www.vimeo.com/3363141
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:14 pm

Ack if You teach arrow how to call better I might ask him back over to help me kill that 30 pounder :idea:
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:55 am

ACK, thanks for the tutorials. Good refresher. I always find it helpful to start the seasons practice listening to some good cadence, then carry that thru.
I just bought a custom from montana screamers, I don't like it. I'll have to try some others. Maybe this one will break in, but until then, it won't make it to the timber!

Lou, that tirdy lb'er should be up to 40 by now. We'll have to roll him out of the bush.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:45 am

ACK, I took your advice and bought one of Jeff Fredrick's Custom Call. I'll let everyone know what I think of it when I play around with it for a bit.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:49 pm

Casper wrote:ACK, I took your advice and bought one of Jeff Fredrick's Custom Call. I'll let everyone know what I think of it when I play around with it for a bit.

Cool....I think you'll like how easy they are to use. All you have to do is blow and drop your jaw....this thing will make the prettiest yelp you've ever heard!
JJWI

Unread postby JJWI » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:31 am

I use the Woodhaven mouth call now. You can get great volume and great sound from all the calls. But I never go to the woods with out my slate call. I will run the slate and cut myself off with my mouth call sounding like two hens going back and forth. That system works good blind calling. Early morning locate I just use my voice for an owl locate. If the toms are lock jawed I will usually wait until I get an owl responding back. They can get fired up and start cackling and that will get the turkey's gobbling. Mid-morning, I listen for the crows. A crow is natures a@@hole, they just have to bother everything out there, most of the time, I have found when you hear a crow calling every so often in the same area, they are usually bothering a tom. If they are following a field edge cawing every couple of feet, I am getting set up fast. But the worst turkey callers in the woods are the turkey hens themselves, they key is to keep the tempo the same, if you make a mistake keep going, don't stop keep the tempo going. You miss a yelp, make your next note a series of clucks, then go back to the yelps. But don't stop, that is the worst you can do.
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:34 am

i also use Jeff Fredricks custom calls. personally, they cant be beat. iv tried all the calls like H.S, M.A.D and Flextone, Flextone are good also but Fredricks work best for me.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:28 am

Lou... Did you make those box calls?
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:25 pm

My favorite turkey call is my voice. It doesn't let me down under any circumstance.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:27 am

I have hunted 2 seasons for turkeys and killed both seasons using a box call - they seem easiest to use IMO
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:18 am

My old slate call has killed more birds than the others all together. I never leave home without my owl hoot for early morning locator and my elk bugle for late morning shock gobble locating.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:16 am

dan wrote:Lou... Did you make those box calls?

No a good friend made them. I think I posted the story on the other website. I was in Lansing at the Deer and Turkey and saw a custom box call I had to have. I traded the guy two RunNGun BARK Silencers for the Osage Orange one. My friend Brian made me a box call a few years earlier and started saying he could make them better. I said do it.

So he made 15 for me. They turned out well and some friends have killed nice birds with them. But since I absolutely suck at calling and have so many other things out at the hunting shows I attend, I never sold them all yet. I still have 4 of them left (actually 6 but 2 are mine). I just saw them downstairs today and thought about putting them in the classified section.

Like arrowbender said, you never know what the flavor of the day is. But if you go to cabela's or bass pro, the one thing you can count on is you will sound like everyone else in the woods.

So no matter your favorite type call, everyone should invest in some custom calls.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:18 am

bump
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:03 am

I bring 3 different kinds of calls with me (slate,box, and diaphram). my #1 favorite is a primos Lil" Heartbreaker box call.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”