fall calls

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

fall calls

Unread postby bowmike » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:44 am

I am really hooked on turkeys again after this season. I took my favorite box calls out yesterday to practice some fall calling. I had never really done gobbler yelps before so I thought they would work pretty good on a long box. I am always too caught up with deer and the rut to hunt turkey. See, growing up my family really needed that deer meat to make it, so its a hard idea to get out of your head. One deer will last my wife and I all year these days so I am trying to focus on things that bring me the most enjoyment, over food for the freezer. Don't get me wrong I love archery, but nothing beats turkey hunting.

So in the video, I am using the long box to create the kee kee runs, and gobbler yelps, and the short box to do some assembly calls. I think that these 3 are the most important in the fall. They are the most common calls I hear turkey do in the fall. I think I need to modify the kees a little. The faster, deeper yelps on the long box were trying to simulate the jake. I'm really hoping that I can kick my deer hunting mentality in early November and chase turkey. Its always so hard to kick that with a buck tag in your pocket.

Any thoughts on my fall calling? Ill be mixing in wingbones and Jordan yelpers as well. I plan on making wing bone calls from the 2nd gobbler I shot this year, for fall hunting. I have made one wingbone in the past but it was out of a store bought bird. Hoping to also finish a shortbox that I started about a year and a half ago, and make another short box before fall. One of those shortboxes is going to a friend, and the other I want to use to hunt with in combination with the wingbones I'm going to make.

Here is a clip of my fall call practice.

https://youtu.be/5dWCC70emrE

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”