The "TOP GUN" Gobbler, my personal best

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

The "TOP GUN" Gobbler, my personal best

Unread postby bowmike » Thu May 17, 2018 5:38 am

I've been having an EPIC turkey season this year. I was fortunate enough to fill tag number one on opening day. After having a 2 year drought in harvesting turkeys it was much welcomed. The overall hunt lasted maybe 13 minutes, but that turkey meant so much to me. The Thursday of that week my brother was admitted to ICU and I was told he may not make it through the night. He has been fighting and on last Friday I was able to talk with him. The fact that he is doing as well as he is, is honestly a miracle. That same Friday morning, I called in a quadruple bearded bird for my cousin as well. I have been on gobbling birds every day of the season so far but one. I hunted every day before work and have been getting up between 4-4:30 every morning since opening day. I've hunted so hard this spring, and had so many close calls, but never could connect before work. I have had to let a pile of gobbling birds in the woods this year to make it to work. Just a flat out epic season, and a world of difference from my last two years. SO now lets get into this mornings hunt.

Last night my sons Tee ball game was canceled. I texted my wife to see if she could go to the gym immediately after I got home, so I could use the woods for my workout. You know, gotta slip in a card now and then. I was pumped when I got the OK text. I have never hunted the evenings before. When I was walking down the steep hill to where I wanted to set up I heard 3-4 birds gobbling on their own. I rushed and got set up. I hit the box a few times and they gobbled. Instantly I knew I was screwing up. I felt that I would be better off to go to where they normally roost and slow call them. I did just that and had no action, but this let me know where they would be at in the morning. They never came up the hill towards me so I knew they were on the other hillside. Awesome!! Gameplan set for tomorrow.

I woke up after 2 snoozed alarms and my wife smacking me in the head. 4:15. I jetted to sheetz and grabbed a peach ice tea. Might as well change it up right. I almost went to another spot as those birds didn't gobble on the roost but I had to trust my gut. I parked, got my vest one, and loaded the gun. I walked down the large hill, across the road at the bottom, crossed a rather roaring little stream, and set up at the base of the hill side where I heard the birds gobbling at 7:15 the night before. I walked halfway up the old logging road and sat down. I was mainly just waiting to hear the first gobble to determine where I needed to be to call them in. It was just getting lighter, and lighter, crows were calling and I didn't hear a bird. HMMM, maybe I messed up. I am not a patient turkey hunter, especially on the before work hunts. I decided I would move, and walk up to where they were roosted before. Just then a bird gobbled down the hillside from me, then 2-3 more gobbled from the field I call Mission Impossible. That is just a flat out hard spot to hunt no matter what you do. Wide open field, with a steep hillside. Once the pressure gets on these birds they hit that up and fly right into it from the trees surrounding it.

I jetted down that tram, back across that stream, and to the old dirt road. I was looking for cover at the bottom of the hill and all I could find was a Japanese Knotweed clump about 4' wide and 3' tall. It would have to do. I got set up and grabbed my old faithful MAC glass pot call. I did a fly down cackle and the top of the field lit up with birds. Holy cow! They are in the field already, I thought. I never heard them fly down, and only had them gobble once. I assumed they were on the roost at that time. So I worked these birds a little with the pot call when it sounded like one was getting closer. This whole time the bird on the hillside gobbled one time.

Since it sounded like I was getting the birds to come my way, and thought they may peek their heads over the hill to see the hen squawking at the bottom, I put the glass call on the ground and grabbed my mouth call. I popped it in and waited. The birds gobbled but it sounded like they were in the same spot as before. I chose to do another fly down cackle to make it sound like another hen pitched into the field.

GOBBBLLLE GOBBLLEEEE. The top of the field lit up. I raised my gun, and got ready.

WWWOOOOOOOSSSSSHHHHH! Just then the gobbler of the hillside does a Maverick style fly by right over my head and lands on the first bench of the field. He looked like Tom Cruise, landing an F-14 on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier. His landing gear was down, and so was my scope on this bird. When he flew over I could see his beard dangling. He hopped twice upon landing and broke into full strut. FULL FAN!

I made a couple soft yelps and I saw the bird turn and picked out his long beard. I gave a quick burst of cuts and he lifted his head. I put the center dot on his neck, and made sure the circle on my reflex sight was the whole way around his head.

BOOOM!

I saw the bird, fall down, then suddenly a bird flies off the hill. WHAT THE HECK, I KNOW I DECKED HIM! I pulled up my gun but the bird was out of range. NO WAY I MISSED THAT BIRD!

I took off up the hill to see if that was my bird. NOPE! He was laying there, a couple flops and he was done.

I was so pumped, I couldn't take it. I've tried to kill birds here many times, and have been busted just about every time. I call it mission impossible because its so tough with little cover, and they have the uphill advantage. This was one heck of a bird, and my best to date also. I took a few pictures, and a quick video for my daily recap to post on my Facebook group, and took off back to the jeep. I got to where the hill gets steep and realized this bird had some serious heft to him. I had to take a break. As I stood there catching my breath, and admiring my nice longboard, I heard another bird fire up. "See you next year, and if your lucky I won't try to call you in for someone else" I said out loud, then just had to laugh at my cockiness. These birds have been running me ragged. I'd set up one way, they'd go the other, I'd go where they were, they would do something different. Just a marathon, but I live for it. Getting up everyday, just to get an hour or so to match wits with one of the most beautiful trophies out there.

I finally got back to the jeep and drank my peach tea. I had sweat dripping from me, and had quite a heat on, and took off for home. I got to the driveway and was greeted by my lab. She has a goofy way of knowing when I get a bird. I ran up to the back porch and laid the gobbler down. She checked him over and congratulated me.

Next I went inside and the kids weren't up. I ran to Corbin's room real fast. "Corbin, I shot a nice turkey do you want to come see it?" To my surprise he was groggy and said yeah but rolled over. I got him rousted up and went over to the twins, who escaped their beds and were sleeping in mine. "Hey bubbies, Daddy shot a big turkey, you want to check him out?" My one daughter jumped up and hit the deck, and rolled out of the bed "You got a turkey Daddy?" "Yeah baby, lets go check him out, he's a good one" My other daughter wasn't as eager but drug herself out.

This is what I love most about harvesting a bird. Sharing the excitement with my 6 year old boy and 3 year old twins is a blast. They came down and checked him out. They loved petting him, and checking out his beard. I snagged a few pics, and got my wife to come take a couple of me, then it was time to get down to business. I got his beard off, and removed his fan, Skinned out his breast, and took his legs. Put the meat in a bowl. I got his wings off and am going to try my hand at making 2 wing bone calls out of him. Then put the remains off to the side.

I got the meat rinsed, and put in the fridge, jumped in the shower and got dressed. I then looked like a nascar pit crew changing the girls. I got them ready and momma did their hair. Gave momma and Corbin a hug, then took off with the girls to drop them off at their aunts house. I texted my supervisor and told her I'd be 8 minutes late. I got to work and walked past her office, and she said, "Michael, you are exactly 8 minutes late, you are like rain man" This is actually funny because the one day I told here how I was counting on my fingers while getting the girls ready. My wife asked me what I was doing, and I told her calculating what time I would be at work, if I got things ready before I left. "If I do this, Ill get to work with 2 minutes and 30 seconds to spare. I told my supervisor this story and she laughed. Well the next day I got in at 7:57:25. Dang I was 5 seconds off.

But this is the stuff you have to do to be a "before work hunter" You need to know exactly what time you need to give up on a bird, exactly how much time it takes you to get ready, and such. I live for this. If I hadn't filled my second tag I would be out again tomorrow. I hunted my but off this year and was blessed with a ton of action this year. Every day but one I had gobbling birds, and 95% of the time I was working them. My best turkey season so far, and I am still dying to get some others out there an help them bag their first bird.

It is always a bitter sweet feeling filling that second tag, and tagging out. You are happy at the time, but then become saddened knowing that your game for the year is over. Calling them in for others is fun, and I get more excited at the shot when I call one in for others, but the chess match just isn't the same. Your zen is off as you are sharing it, and making descisions with others. Its not just you talking with yourself to gamelan on how to be successful.

As I type this last line, I just have to reflect on my turkey hunting beginnings and how far I have come. Some habits I can't kick like not being patient, and over calling. I live to hear them gobbling, and I will be the first to admit sometimes I call just to hear them gobble. But hey that's why we do it right? That what keeps us getting up early everyday, and becoming zombies by June. I want to wish everyone the best of luck if you still have tags, and hope you end up having a season like my 2018 Spring Gobbler Season.

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
muddy

Re: The "TOP GUN" Gobbler, my personal best

Unread postby muddy » Thu May 17, 2018 7:52 am

Congrats, great season recap
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu May 17, 2018 8:29 am

Nice!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Thu May 17, 2018 8:43 am

Awesome awesome story season and bird!
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu May 17, 2018 8:55 am

Nice bird !!
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Thu May 17, 2018 9:01 am

Hoping to call a few more in for others, but probably wont be taking them to my spots. Just don't want to get burned.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu May 17, 2018 3:17 pm

:clap: Congrats!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Fri May 18, 2018 5:06 am

Holy cow. That beard dried from being wet yesterday and I about died. That is a doozie of a beard. Almost makes me wish I would have got the thing mounted. I would have picked the flying mount, LOL have to with that story. :lol:
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri May 18, 2018 5:07 am

That's a beard to make Bob Ross jealous
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri May 18, 2018 7:01 am

Congrats bowmike! Dang nice gobbler. :dance: :dance:
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri May 18, 2018 7:43 am

Congrats!!!!
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:27 am

Congratulations on a great gobbler :clap:
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:53 am

Amazing job Mike! You're a real killer! We've got some great birds in our area for sure. Good luck this fall man.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”