Do tom's really get educated? Because I spooked him

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rfickes87
500 Club

Do tom's really get educated? Because I spooked him

Unread postby rfickes87 » Wed May 02, 2018 4:24 am

I took a half day yesterday (Monday 4-30). PA public land. My plan was to walk the game lands till I heard one and then move in and set up on him. I have a tail cam pick of 5 long beards together back in Feb and I heard them gobbling in a certain area about two weeks ago while spring bed scouting for bucks. So I know they're hanging around this certain area.

Anyway, about 9 am I get to that same spot and sure enough 1 gobbles but he's about 500 yards away, down at the bottom of this thick ridge. I called back to him with my mouth call and he seemed to answer me. So I start running down threw a woods to a steep point and closed the distance by 150 yards. I waited about 10 minutes, nothing. So I call, still nothing. I'm hunting with my bow. I have 2 decoys and a blind strapped to my back. I didn't get them out yet because I wasn't sure if he was coming or if I should continue to get closer or move somewhere else. I wanted to hear him again so I knew where I wanted to set up my decoys and blind. I continue to wait for about 5 more minutes looking down this point. and I just happen to look to my right and there he is standing there 15 yards away looking at me and then he took off. If I would have had the shotgun he'd been dead but I had the bow with me. Obviously I screwed up big time. I should have already been in my blind and decoys out and ready. I could have whacked my first with the bow.

Is that bird unkillable now? Can I continue to go back to this honey hole and keep hunting? My plan now is the get to that same spot before daylight and be set up in my blind and ready to go. And just call maybe once every half hour throughout the morning. Any suggestions guys?

Also in a couple weeks I'll be able to hunting evenings after work. Will mature Tom's come in to a hen call in the evening just like they do in mornings???

Thanks in advance guys!!

"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
oldrank

Re: Do tom's really get educated? Because I spooked him

Unread postby oldrank » Wed May 02, 2018 5:19 am

He is still killable. Go give it another try. Also I would bet he isn't the only gobbler in the area.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed May 02, 2018 6:17 am

I did the same thing once. Waited a few days, then went back in and my buddy killed the gobbler coming off the roost and he came right to us. Nice 3 year old, and it was definitely the same gobbler, as there were not any others in the area and very low turkey density, and I got a good look at him the first time. It was the same bird.

I don't know about calling in the evenings, as I have never hunted an evening.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Abishai

Unread postby Abishai » Wed May 02, 2018 7:14 am

They do, but it's not a "deer type" educated. They have walnut brains. You can still get him although you might have to adjust or move a little bit.
“If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.”– Fred Bear
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Wed May 02, 2018 7:27 am

At least you didn't miss him like I did this morning :doh: :lol:
jhpa

Unread postby jhpa » Wed May 02, 2018 8:03 am

In my experience, you can still get a response. There is usually more than one hen in the woods, so sometimes simply adjusting the approach time and location, and using a different call is all it takes to fool him. The toms are like rutting bucks this time of year, not necessarily stupid but sometimes foolish.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:30 pm

flinginairos wrote:At least you didn't miss him like I did this morning :doh: :lol:

Going for the headshot?
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:34 pm

flinginairos wrote:At least you didn't miss him like I did this morning :doh: :lol:

While I was chasing turkeys i stopped and scouted some thick points. Found maybe a dozen new beds. Some worn down really well. Got me thinking of your video. I found trails leading down the hill so i tracked myself on my GPS walking down the deer trail so now the deer trails are marked. Maybe in a few months ill get a camera on them like you did.
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Thu May 03, 2018 12:08 am

rfickes87 wrote:

Going for the headshot?

Just too far of a shot with the 20ga. I have to admit I panicked a little, I know I shouldn't have shot at him. First one i've ever missed! :snooty:
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu May 03, 2018 4:55 am

First you have to understand what went wrong and then fix it. I wouldn’t be running after birds, especially with a bow. If a Tom answers your calling, there’s a good chance he’s coming to you. He might hang up, but he might not. If he hangs up then go after him ssssslllllowwwwwwly. Like Alex Rose said...just a little patience, yeah yeah.
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Thu May 03, 2018 5:29 am

rfickes87 wrote:Also in a couple weeks I'll be able to hunting evenings after work. Will mature Tom's come in to a hen call in the evening just like they do in mornings???

Thanks in advance guys!!

Yes, they will but they may come in silent. I have killed them in the evening that way.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu May 03, 2018 1:21 pm

matt1336 wrote:First you have to understand what went wrong and then fix it. I wouldn’t be running after birds, especially with a bow. If a Tom answers your calling, there’s a good chance he’s coming to you. He might hang up, but he might not. If he hangs up then go after him ssssslllllowwwwwwly. Like Alex Rose said...just a little patience, yeah yeah.

Oh I've learned from what happened Monday.
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Thu May 03, 2018 1:40 pm

Little update on the Tom I missed yesterday....went out to listen tonight and he’s right back in the same spot roosted. I’ll be there waiting for him again in the morning! Hoping for a better outcome this time :lol:
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu May 03, 2018 3:24 pm

One spook they don't get too messed up, more than that they move a bit. Generally come back after some time away

Be patient in the morning, he's killable
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”