extreme-ly deep snow tactics

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

magicman54494
500 Club

extreme-ly deep snow tactics

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:50 am

Is it realistic to place decoys on top of 5 ft drifts?
what is a good light weight snow shovel for turkey hunting?
Is it legal to hunt from a snowmobile?
what is a good snow camo pattern for turkeys?
Are there any good books on snow tracking turkeys?

stash59

Re: extreme-ly deep snow tactics

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:42 am

:laughing-rolling:

Just build an igloo blind!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:33 am

It’s easy. Just hunt near your neighbors corn pile.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:31 pm

Dress like a snowman. And when he comes to nibble on your corn cob pipe. Wring his neck! ;) 8-)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:39 pm

tgreeno wrote:Dress like a snowman. And when he comes to nibble on your corn cob pipe. Wring his neck! ;) 8-)

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
mike perry
Facebook: Mike Perry

Unread postby mike perry » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:45 pm

If you build it they will come, Jake turkey snow sculpture is in order
Aim small miss small
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:23 pm

I know this post is in jest but tracks do really help find the birds particularly when they are completely henned up and won't respond to calls. And nothing beats plain whites in snowy cover I think I have convinced the guys I was hunting with :D

That was this past weekend up in the northwoods....
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:00 am

This past weekend I went hunting and there were good and bad parts of the snow. The good part was the tracks and being able to see the birds from a distance. Bad part was walking was tough and very loud. I pretty much had to stay put unless I wanted to let every bird in the county where I was.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:21 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:This past weekend I went hunting and there were good and bad parts of the snow. The good part was the tracks and being able to see the birds from a distance. Bad part was walking was tough and very loud. I pretty much had to stay put unless I wanted to let every bird in the county where I was.

We had similar issues early in the mornings but in the mid-day hours each day the snow was softened in the warm weather and we could scoot around quietly. The snow was melting fast and we could tell within minutes of how old a track was when we cut it....that was pretty nice. I was wishing it was deer season most of the time looking at all the deer wandering around with the nicer weather :lol:
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:43 am

JoeRE wrote:
NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:This past weekend I went hunting and there were good and bad parts of the snow. The good part was the tracks and being able to see the birds from a distance. Bad part was walking was tough and very loud. I pretty much had to stay put unless I wanted to let every bird in the county where I was.

We had similar issues early in the mornings but in the mid-day hours each day the snow was softened in the warm weather and we could scoot around quietly. The snow was melting fast and we could tell within minutes of how old a track was when we cut it....that was pretty nice. I was wishing it was deer season most of the time looking at all the deer wandering around with the nicer weather :lol:

I'm not sure if it's normal but by mid day the turkey's quit calling so it was difficult to locate them for me. Perhaps I'm really bad at it. But I also seen a lot of deer both days!
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:18 am

JoeRE wrote:I know this post is in jest but tracks do really help find the birds particularly when they are completely henned up and won't respond to calls. And nothing beats plain whites in snowy cover I think I have convinced the guys I was hunting with :D

Great gloves Joe :shock:
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:30 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:
JoeRE wrote:

I'm not sure if it's normal but by mid day the turkey's quit calling so it was difficult to locate them for me. Perhaps I'm really bad at it. But I also seen a lot of deer both days!

Yea they weren't talking mid day for us either....but they were leaving tracks :violence-snipersmiley:

Wetfoot wrote:
JoeRE wrote:I know this post is in jest but tracks do really help find the birds particularly when they are completely henned up and won't respond to calls. And nothing beats plain whites in snowy cover I think I have convinced the guys I was hunting with :D

Great gloves Joe :shock:

Yea they are possum fur trigger finger mittens. Caught them messing with the compost pile this winter...figured might as well do something with the fur!

At first glance it does look like I have possums attacking both of my hands. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”