A bird gobbles do you go after him or sit and wait him out?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mike perry
Facebook: Mike Perry

Re: A bird gobbles do you go after him or sit and wait him out?

Unread postby mike perry » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:01 pm

If the bird is close ill sit down and go silent and wait for him to gobble on his own, I never call unless I am in a area where I can immediately sit and set up so in other words I don’t recommend just walking and randomly calling in a bad setup location. If that bird is hot he should gobble on his own once you go silent with a search gobble. If not he’s probably got hens with him, or he’s just played the game before and is pressured. Either way less is more with calling. The only time I would call a lot is if he’s closing the distance quick and cutting my calling off with a gobble, right before he gets in sight I’ll shut up. I will usually only purr or light Yelp when I think they are close.

If he is far away I will try to cut the distance then find a good area to setup, I’ll call low at first before I get aggressive to get him to answer to locate him again. If he does not answer the turkey call I’ll crow call to see if I can shock gobble him. Either way I’m staying there for atleast a 1/2 hour before I either hear him again or move on to try to find a hot bird.

Aim small miss small
tgreeno
500 Club

Re: A bird gobbles do you go after him or sit and wait him out?

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:14 am

Pressure has alot to do with it also. If he's been called too alot, you're better trying to go after him.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”