Turkey and Temps...

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Opening Morning of Youth Turkey season is 25 degrees so you...

Get up and bust the ridge-tops hoping to locate one gobbling - temps change nothing
50%
Get a ground blind and find a travel corridor - hope they see your decoy and respond
38%
Sleep in and wait on the weather to warm and the birds to become more active (calling Hot birds is what Turkey hunting is about)
13%

Total votes: 24
tbowers

Re: Turkey and Temps...

Unread postby tbowers » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:50 am

Youth turkey in WI is this Saturday. I tried to Scout on Friday(NW WI), snow was over my knee boots in most spots, some other spots it was thigh deep. Stupid forecast has it in the 40/50's on Wed-Friday but my Weather Underground forecast for Saturday shows high of 26 and 9" of snow. Nice. This has to be the coldest and snowiest March/April in WI history.

I want my daughter(10) to have a decent experience the first time out- I'm not going to take her out in it- we'll wait until the May season. Saturday might be doable in a blind with a Mr. Buddy if you knew where a ton of birds where roosted and you could get a crack at one early but I have yet to find any birds or hear any on a couple pieces of public yet

Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:02 am

Here is the link to the full story in case anyone is interested...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=44803&p=674281#p674281
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
tbowers

Unread postby tbowers » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:54 am

tbowers wrote:Youth turkey in WI is this Saturday. I tried to Scout on Friday(NW WI), snow was over my knee boots in most spots, some other spots it was thigh deep. Stupid forecast has it in the 40/50's on Wed-Friday but my Weather Underground forecast for Saturday shows high of 26 and 9" of snow. Nice. This has to be the coldest and snowiest March/April in WI history.

I want my daughter(10) to have a decent experience the first time out- I'm not going to take her out in it- we'll wait until the May season. Saturday might be doable in a blind with a Mr. Buddy if you knew where a ton of birds where roosted and you could get a crack at one early but I have yet to find any birds or hear any on a couple pieces of public yet

Forecast has gotten worse, although quite clear that no weather person has any idea how much snow is going to come down tonight/tomorrow. Most say 8-12", but i have seen as low as 1-2" and earlier this week they had NW WI getting up to 24". 20-30mph winds. Crap timing, pretty much wipes out the youth season this weekend.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:39 am

tbowers wrote:
tbowers wrote:Youth turkey in WI is this Saturday. I tried to Scout on Friday(NW WI), snow was over my knee boots in most spots, some other spots it was thigh deep. Stupid forecast has it in the 40/50's on Wed-Friday but my Weather Underground forecast for Saturday shows high of 26 and 9" of snow. Nice. This has to be the coldest and snowiest March/April in WI history.

Forecast has gotten worse, although quite clear that no weather person has any idea how much snow is going to come down tonight/tomorrow. Most say 8-12", but i have seen as low as 1-2" and earlier this week they had NW WI getting up to 24". 20-30mph winds. Crap timing, pretty much wipes out the youth season this weekend.

Might take an evening drive today. If you locate some birds the blind and Mr Buddy might help you out. Good luck and don't give up just yet. If it doesn't work I hope your daughter has an even more special hunt in May!
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”