How long of a calling sequence do you do and how long do you wait in between calling

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

UntouchableNess
500 Club

Re: How long of a calling sequence do you do and how long do you wait in between calling

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:48 am

I call more frequently than the time it took somebody to post to your question. :lol:

I read something once that the majority of hunters over call while hunting turkeys. I try to spread out calls to around 30 minutes between sets, maybe do a couple of yelps per set. If I see something enter the field between sets, I'm calling to it, gentle cluck or purr.

If I've been getting gobbles back from calling and it doesn't seem like he is coming in, I'll quit. I've waited an hour or two before the curiosity got the best of the tom and he comes looking. Most times the ones that won't come in are with a hen, then they get ditched and lonely.
Jon308

Re: How long of a calling sequence do you do and how long do you wait in between calling

Unread postby Jon308 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:09 pm

Yeah haha,I call every 20 minutes when blind calling and if I have one gobbling I usually let him gobble once or twice before I call back, just curious what other people were doing.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:32 pm

For me it depends on the temperature of the bird.

I have killed them by calling nonstop with a mouth call and slate at the same time and by calling less than once per hour.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:53 pm

I do what the birds want.

Every bird is different, sometimes it's even day to day. I've killed birds being very subtle n just doing soft purrs n clucks every 20 minutes. This was on heavy pressure public land. The birds snuck in and never made a peep.

I've also killed them calling loud for minutes on end till I thought I was gonna blow an ear drum. It was a hail Mary before I packed up for the day. Just as I was stepping out of the blind I caught 4 red heads running my way 400 yards out.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:01 pm

I’m not an expert. I have about a dozen birds under my belt. I’ve never had much luck calling aggressive. Like deer hunting your knowledge of the area and knowing where the turkeys roost and travel is way more important. I went to a turkey hunting seminar years ago. The speaker owned a small call business I can’t even remember the name but he said something that stuck with me. He said it’s really hard to call a tom around and come back your way. He said you have to be set up in the direction they are heading then they’re alot easier to call in. I’ve killed a turkey every year since.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”