WI Turkey Permits Announced today

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

WI Turkey Permits Announced today

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:13 am

Pretty unhappy I got my last or second last pick, can't remember anyhow I applied ahead of time and still got hosed. I won't be hunting til May 4th. Anyone else get assigned their units and seasons today?

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
huntinfool14
500 Club

Re: WI Turkey Permits Announced today

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:16 am

my dad and i got our yellow cards in the mail today...we got the exact seasons we wanted...i heard that the WI DNR didnt get as many applicants as they had tags for...
Cash 18

Unread postby Cash 18 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:06 pm

I got mine.. it was the one I selected 2nd season. so i am pretty happy with that
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:35 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:Pretty unhappy I got my last or second last pick, can't remember anyhow I applied ahead of time and still got hosed. I won't be hunting til May 4th. Anyone else get assigned their units and seasons today?

How does the WI draw work? First to enter gets first pic? And do you have preference points or anything like that?

Here in MN, we dont get 2nd, 3rd, etc choices..if you dont get drawn for the one you applied for, better luck next year..either that or you can buy surplus tags if there are any available in certain areas..
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:20 am

I drew 1st. My mom n her bf drew 2nd and my sis 3rd. All ones we wanted.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:06 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:Pretty unhappy I got my last or second last pick, can't remember anyhow I applied ahead of time and still got hosed. I won't be hunting til May 4th. Anyone else get assigned their units and seasons today?

Same here!!! Same season!!
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:33 pm

Zone 1 period 3.......I wanted season 2 an My wife got 2 and she wanted 3........Whatever, I'm not complaining.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:12 pm

It's been like a week and I'm still really upset about this. What would the reasoning be that I applied for my permit like everyone else and of the 5 picks I made they gave me my very last choice? Does anyone know what their process is in determining who gets which permits? Next spring will I have preference for an early season?
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:42 am

Backwoods, I don't know the exact process, but if your always getting your last choice, you could apply and ask for only your first choice. No other choices. If you get drawn, you get your first choice, if not buy one over the counter. Then at least next year, you will get your first choice, because you applied and did not recieve a permit this gives you priority in the drawing. The only way other way would be to see if you can get landowner preference. If memory serves me correct your grandpa owns land, you need at least 50 acres,he can transfer his preference to you, they only drawback is the landowner has to give permission to anybody that ask to hunt turkeys on his land. Not the best, but at least you would get your 1st choice every other year. This was the first year I felt I didn't get hosed in the drawing, I got my second choice. Only problem was I never changed the zone to the one I wanted. So, I got a permit in a zone 1 don't have any place to hunt, zone 1. :evil:
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:23 pm

Black Squirrel wrote:Backwoods, I don't know the exact process, but if your always getting your last choice, you could apply and ask for only your first choice. No other choices. If you get drawn, you get your first choice, if not buy one over the counter. Then at least next year, you will get your first choice, because you applied and did not recieve a permit this gives you priority in the drawing. The only way other way would be to see if you can get landowner preference. If memory serves me correct your grandpa owns land, you need at least 50 acres,he can transfer his preference to you, they only drawback is the landowner has to give permission to anybody that ask to hunt turkeys on his land. Not the best, but at least you would get your 1st choice every other year. This was the first year I felt I didn't get hosed in the drawing, I got my second choice. Only problem was I never changed the zone to the one I wanted. So, I got a permit in a zone 1 don't have any place to hunt, zone 1. :evil:

What season did you get? I got lotsa land in zone 1 to hunt, you're more than welcome to come down and hunt with me.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:20 am

Chris, I got period 3, April 27th-May 1st. My son has that period also, I will probably hunt with him. However, If he would get one during the youth, hunt, I may take you up on your offer if the season works out for you, and the offer still stands come spring. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”