Mechanicals for Turkeys

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cornfedkiller
500 Club

Mechanicals for Turkeys

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:47 am

I currently shoot slick tricks, but I have been thinking about shooting a mechanical head for turkey season because of the large cutting diameter. Anyone here shoot mechanicals for turkeys, and what do you suggest?

Obviously rage is always an option, but I have been looking at the tekans or grim reapers, and the rocket meat seekers caught my eye as well.

Anyone have any experience with any of them, or can suggest anything else to me?

muddy

Re: Mechanicals for Turkeys

Unread postby muddy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:57 am

I have put the holy smack down on gobblers with 100 gr 3 blade Rocket Hammerheads, they work excellent.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:36 am

muddy wrote:I have put the holy smack down on gobblers with 100 gr 3 blade Rocket Hammerheads, they work excellent.

when your shooting these, where are you aiming on the turkey? iv aimed for the head on a few that are close and the body/chest on others..
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:54 am

I stick to the exact same fixed head as I use for deer hunting. Why change a setup that I'm comfortable with? And I can shoot through mesh with a fixed head.

Right now I'm using New Archery Products, Hellrazors.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:07 am

Has anyone ever tried the guillotine?
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:11 am

Spysar wrote:I stick to the exact same fixed head as I use for deer hunting. Why change a setup that I'm comfortable with? And I can shoot through mesh with a fixed head.

Right now I'm using New Archery Products, Hellrazors.

I figured I would maybe want to use something with a larger cutting diameter because of the small vitals.

I have heard others say those hammerheads work very well. Anyone use the Rocket MeatSeekers? They look pretty sweet..

I thought about the guillotine or bullhead, but my arrows are too short and dont hang out beyond the shelf (which is required for those broadheads).
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:26 am

I figured I would maybe want to use something with a larger cutting diameter because of the small vitals.

Valid point. Maybe the extra width will help.

I feel confident enough in my shooting that I can hit my mark...I guess it's a preferance thing.

Will you be using a blind?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:31 am

Spysar wrote:I feel confident enough in my shooting that I can hit my mark...I guess it's a preferance thing.

I am confident in my shooting as well, but just in case, I figure the extra width cant hurt.

Yes I will be using a blind, but not with shoot through mesh.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:35 am

I shoot 1 3/4" Jak's for deer and Turks. They fly through the mesh (if its up) just fine.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:37 am

cornfedkiller wrote:
Spysar wrote:I feel confident enough in my shooting that I can hit my mark...I guess it's a preferance thing.

I am confident in my shooting as well, but just in case, I figure the extra width cant hurt.

Yes I will be using a blind, but not with shoot through mesh.

In that case, I would try the NAP spitfire. They have special turkey ones with more of a blunt tip, and they have another new model with serrated blades.

Have you ever got a turkey with a bow? It's a blast, good luck to you this season.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:38 am

For those who use the big heads. Is there anything left to eat? :?:
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:44 am

Spysar wrote:For those who use the big heads. Is there anything left to eat? :?:

Gizzard :mrgreen:

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:10 am

Spysar wrote:Have you ever got a turkey with a bow? It's a blast, good luck to you this season.

I hunted them for the first time last year, and had one come in, but ended up shooting nothing but feathers after not picking the right spot to shoot..I thought I was busted and rushed the shot - stupid :oops:

I am looking forward to turkey hunting again this season. Its way more of a rush than I thought it was going to be! Cant wait!
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:16 pm

I shoot NAP Spitfires for turkeys. I like bigger cutting diameter so you dont get as many pass thrus. These Mechanicals also fly the exact same as my fixed heads and field points so I dont have to change anything on my setup.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:28 pm

solocam88 wrote:I like bigger cutting diameter so you dont get as many pass thrus.

Another good reason! Arrows are hard to find when you are shooting from ground level! Haha

I started this thread on another site as well, and 8 out of the 13 people that replied suggested Rocket Hammerheads. I think that might be the way to go..

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”