Run and gun?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brkissl82
500 Club

Run and gun?

Unread postby brkissl82 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:28 pm

The past 2 weeks ive heard a ton of gobbles on the roost and got close to them only to have them fly the other way :think: . What do u guys do when the turkeys shut up after fly down? I covered a ton of ground tryn to locate a gobble but nada. My question is, what do u guys do whem u cant get ne birds to gobble?

Ack

Re: Run and gun?

Unread postby Ack » Mon May 15, 2017 6:17 pm

Get away from the roost. Find their pattern and intercept them on that pattern. It's way easier to call a tom to an area he wants to go to, than to an area he doesn't want to go.

Also, it's just a matter of finding the right bird. Hens are hitting the nests hard right now, and mid-day is prime time at this point of the season. If you can go out and strike up a gobble mid-day, chances are he's on his way in.
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:21 pm

Thanks. Yea i got tough ton of birds gobbling early them nothn. Problem is off the roost they would always go to private land and i couldnt get anything to gobble mid day. But i did kick up a bunch of birds on nests so i am def going to hit mid day a little harder
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Tue May 16, 2017 1:22 am

yep I think Ack hit the nail on the head, patience and wait em out, hunt mid day and afternoons, enjoy your time in the woods..
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue May 16, 2017 8:36 am

Sometimes there is not much you can do with them besides trYing to catch them in the right mood on the right day. Or getting around on them and calling them in the direction they want to go.

I no longer hunt birds off the roost for that very reason. I not a 3 30 in the morning kind of guy. Once the birds hit the ground, if they are hot, I will find them at later in the morning. But if they are not...I move on to another bird.

I know here in maine...last week was tough. Birds are there...just not saying a whole lot.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Tue May 16, 2017 1:57 pm

Ack wrote:Get away from the roost. Find their pattern and intercept them on that pattern. It's way easier to call a tom to an area he wants to go to, than to an area he doesn't want to go.

Also, it's just a matter of finding the right bird. Hens are hitting the nests hard right now, and mid-day is prime time at this point of the season. If you can go out and strike up a gobble mid-day, chances are he's on his way in.

X2

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”