Good/Bad Gobbling days

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jdw
500 Club

Good/Bad Gobbling days

Unread postby Jdw » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:18 am

I have been looking into what factors make Tom more vocal and active and I have also trying to figure out under what conditions they are not going to be saying much.

I know weather, hunting pressure and phase of the breeding season all contribute to how vocal they are.

But I notice major differences from day to day without noticeable environmental changes.

Anyone care post your thoughts or observations?

strutnrut716
500 Club

Re: Good/Bad Gobbling days

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:48 am

That's a very good question !! I've been trying to figure that out for years ! Some theories have it related to barometric pressure but I'm not always so sure about that..... I would also love to hear other members ideas on this. I always say tho....don't sit at home just because you think its not going to be a good gobbling day. Hunt when you can and enjoy the good gobbling days !!
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:34 pm

Rainy and/or windy days make for quiet days in my past experience. Understanding their social behavior is probably the biggest factor to when and why their gobbling. Old toms aren't gonna sound off much or at all if they're cruising in a "dead" area. Also, if a group of hens is locked down with a mature dominant tom he may only sound off in the mornings a couple times on the roost and shuts up when he hits the ground. If he has a sub-dominant hanging around that he will tolerate, that sub-dominant bird may never gobble out of fear of getting whooped. Old birds with hens will also keep quiet to not let other birds know where he and his ladies are at. Jakes are a bunch of rioting teenagers. They're loud and rowdy and I usually ignore these. The least amount of birds I hear gobbling with lesser frequency are the gobbles I'm looking to further investigate.

burkhart wrote:Pressure systems play a role in goblin . But evnen on bad gobbling days I hunt social areas or strut zones. Just cause he ain't gobbling don't mean baint there

Couldn't agree more with this, good stuff
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:43 am

Pressure systems definitely play a role imo.

In the early season, how many hens a bird has and how close he roosted to them. I've seen quite a few birds that hardly gobbled the first part of the season because they had a harem of 10-20 hens they followed around all day. It takes the hens going to nest to get them going.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:40 am

I have witnessed different gobbling on generally the same weather days due to a couple factors. Birds bumped on their way back to roost are often quiet, increase of predators in the area.. why gobble and give them your location.
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:52 am

Days that seem perfect they're sometimes tight lipped. My thoughts are the same With what you guys have said. Overall I don't think we'll ever truly know exactly how to predict a good day for gobbling.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:57 am

Saw this article tweeted out by the NWTF earlier and thought I'd share on here. More or less saying the same as we're saying here, but a study to back it up.

https://www.nwtf.org/hunt/article/the-s ... f-gobbling

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”