Turkey hunting with your own handmade calls.

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Johnboy

Turkey hunting with your own handmade calls.

Unread postby Johnboy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:40 am

I build and turkey hunt with my own boxcalls, pot calls and mouth diaphragm calls. I do it as a hobby in the wintertime in between deer scouting and bad weather. I never really liked the sound produced from the "mass" produced store bought calls. I always wanted the ability to be able to have a unique sound to each custom call I build. How many of you turkey beasts make and/ or use your own turkey calls? Do you have pics? I'm technologically behind when it comes to trying to post pics but might try. Mainly just wanted to see how many of you all build your own calls.

keepthefevercalls

Re: Turkey hunting with your own handmade calls.

Unread postby keepthefevercalls » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:42 am

I build stuff when I get the time and it goes smoothly..not much though!

I have more stuff but it is importing to photobucket right now.
Hook's Custom Calls Pro-Staff

Romans 3:24
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:34 am

I don't build calls, but I'm a sucker for custom calls. Especially from guys that I've interacted with on forums.

Didn't even buy a call going into this season. Have more calls that need to kill a bird than I have tags :D
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:01 am

I have built calls and killed birds off them. The satisfaction knowing you built the call and made it work it what pleases me

I have given NEARLY ALL my hand made calls away.

I pretty much keep it simple now with a few favorite diaphrams and a pot or two. Light and simple makes mobility faster and quieter ;)
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:27 pm

Pretty much the same as backstraps. I got into making them about 10 years ago,and made several. Gave most away and kept a few. Unfortunately I had to sell all my shop tools to relocate for work, and I haven't gotten back into it. Here's a few I kept

Not all those who wander are lost...
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:10 pm

I made a wingbone trumpet call from my first turkey in 2013. Used it a bit but hope to call one in with it sooner than later. Simple call but sounds great and not many use them so it's an edge on public.
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:43 am

Can't say I've built them....As I didn't turn the pots. I bought some pot blanks and finish the outside and glue the surfaces in.

Once I find a house, I really want a lathe. I did turn a lot of 2 in shop class when I was in highschool. I have a love for wood working...Just not the space right now. Soon, that'll change.

I'm really loving blasted aluminum surfaces lately.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:28 am

Pretty sure I have not ever called in a turkey with a purchased call. Unless taking apart a pen and using it as a wing bone style mouth call counts as purchased :lol:

I have made quite a few box calls. A few worked well, many of them sounded terrible I will admit. Never mastered it just got lucky and made a couple that worked well. My main one I still use, still the best sounding one I have, is from way back in high school shop class, sawed out of a spruce 2x4 board if I remember right.

I use a home made wing bone a lot too. Made out of chicken wing bones. That is easy to do and get one with a good sound. Every few years I sit on it and have to make another one :lol: If there ever was an overlooked call that works well on call shy birds its a wingbone.

My brother made the slate call I use now (made from pot blanks though) - I used to have made out of a piece of shale I picked up out in the woods and sanded down, but guess what I sat on that too a couple years ago - crunch.

None of them look fancy or very pretty. Heck the wingbone call is just glued together with gorilla glue. But they make the right sounds. This is that old shop class box call.

Those three calls are all I carry these days. Two different strikers for the slate. I used to carry half a dozen calls but have learned if I can't call it in with one of those three its not coming in period.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:34 am

JoeRE wrote:Pretty sure I have not ever called in a turkey with a purchased call. Unless taking apart a pen and using it as a wing bone style mouth call counts as purchased :lol:

I have made quite a few box calls. A few worked well, many of them sounded terrible I will admit. Never mastered it just got lucky and made a couple that worked well. My main one I still use, still the best sounding one I have, is from way back in high school shop class, sawed out of a spruce 2x4 board if I remember right.

I use a home made wing bone a lot too. Made out of chicken wing bones. That is easy to do and get one with a good sound. Every few years I sit on it and have to make another one :lol: If there ever was an overlooked call that works well on call shy birds its a wingbone.

My brother made the slate call I use now (made from pot blanks though) - I used to have made out of a piece of shale I picked up out in the woods and sanded down, but guess what I sat on that too a couple years ago - crunch.

None of them look fancy or very pretty. Heck the wingbone call is just glued together with gorilla glue. But they make the right sounds. This is that old shop class box call.

Those three calls are all I carry these days. Two different strikers for the slate. I used to carry half a dozen calls but have learned if I can't call it in with one of those three its not coming in period.

Cool.

I made a couple box calls, but never one with a good sound. I have a couple wingbone calls that a friend made for me from a bird I killed. They can be the ticket on public land birds that have heard it all.
Not all those who wander are lost...
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:38 pm

Very cool, fellas. I made a cane yelper a few years ago. It could kill a bird but I'm not satisfied with the sound of it so I carry a trumpet call instead of that. Once I finally settle down I'll dive down the real call making rabbit hole :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”