Wisconsins best weeks

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brkissl82
500 Club

Wisconsins best weeks

Unread postby brkissl82 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Just curious to what weeks all you guys think are the best and why. I usually apply for the first week and then buy as many over the counter tags as possible

strutnrut716
500 Club

Re: Wisconsins best weeks

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:37 pm

Yup. Thats what I do. But you always have to cross your fingers for good weather the 1st week ( roll the dice and you might guess if its going to be good weather or not). 1st week = more gobblers alive !
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:17 pm

Weather always plays a major factor. I've done real good first period thru last period. I think you just need to the the weather right.

I always forget to send in for my permit, so I have usually buy over the counter, which is usually 4 period and later. This year is the first year I'm hunting public land. I've got a couple good looking spots.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:36 pm

I alway prefer 1st. Followed by 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 in that order.
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:04 am

I prefer the 1season esp if the weather cooperates. Birds havent been huntd in a while. The last 2 weeks can be great if the hens are sitting on nests and toms are still lookin. They may not be as vocal tho. 3 and 4th weeks always seem toughest for me
bigwoodshuntn

Unread postby bigwoodshuntn » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:48 am

I usually go 2 and 3 for my preference. Never had a problem with other hunters having to much affect on the birds. Seems like there is enough places to go and find a farmer who wants all the turkeys shot. The wheather is usually nicer then as well which I prefer for turkey hunting. If it is going to be freezing cold and snowing I'd rather be after deer than a big chicken.

All that being said I have shot my share of turkeys during the youth hunt which is before everyone so it is really just luck of the draw I suppose.
rutjunkie

Unread postby rutjunkie » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:59 pm

I prefer the last 2 periods, almost all hens are sitting on eggs. I seem to shoot bigger birds and they respond better to calling. First couple periods seem to have Tom's following large hen groups. Pretty tough gig to call those birds. Almost have to treat it like deer hunting.
There is only so many Novembers in ones life, make the most of them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”