It's on its way...

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Outdoor814
500 Club

It's on its way...

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:45 pm

:dance: SPRING GOBBLER SEASON :dance:

I know a lot of you guys can't get enough of big bucks, but I gotta say, Im ready for some spring gobbler action. With this unusually warm weather I've been seeing long beards and flocks all over the place. It's getting me pumped!

How are all the other turkey nuts on here coping with the Waite?

I've been playing with calls, organizing my vest, ive got a few new spots I want to scout that I found scouting deer.

I'm also going to try to shoot a gobbler with my bow this year from behind my ghost blind.

Joe™
Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: It's on its way...

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:57 pm

Heck yeah! Our season opens April 17 in Michigan. I took vacation time for the first 3 days.Unlike what you hear about deer here, we have good turkey hunting in Michigan in my opinion with the one bird limit. Only bad thing is my hunt is usually over in a day or two.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:09 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Heck yeah! Our season opens April 17 in Michigan. I took vacation time for the first 3 days.Unlike what you hear about deer here, we have good turkey hunting in Michigan in my opinion with the one bird limit. Only bad thing is my hunt is usually over in a day or two.

That's my kind of hunting :mrgreen:

Not a turkey guy myself. Spring time I chase white tips. Although every other year or so I get some crazy jap bird that kamikazes into my boat. Never can get my hands on him
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:11 am

I've been loving these mild winters with little snow. The birds are keeping monster beards! Almost all the gobblers I've seen this year have had huge ropes
Joe™
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:01 am

I'm trying to ignore that it's coming so that I can push through a few more deer scouts. It's really hit home this week though. Started in on "a fork in the road" by tom Kelly. My vest has stayed in the closet thus far.

20 days until I can take my youth. 25 days until it's my turn.
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:29 am

Still have a ways to go in NY. May 1st opener, but I'm looking forward to it. Still 18 inches or so of the white stuff on the ground but it's going to go fast with temp near 50 this weekend. I am going to start practicing with the mouth calls in my truck and have also been watching a lot of spring thunder on youtube. Have spring deer scouting aND trout fishing to tackle before May.
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:59 am

We just stopped on our way to the job site to observe a big flock of birds in a cut corn field. Hard to see them but through the binos we could see 4 strutters with full fans an a ton Of hens :dance:
Joe™
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:12 am

Getting pumped here in Wis also. Weather has been on and off this late Feb and March but I have to say this......I have really been concentrating on beast buck bedding etc but there is one thing I'm realizing..... the more I do this the more flocks of turkeys I find !!! :L: :L: Just getting out there is half the battle. We start April 19 here. Gobbling traditionally really starts kicking in about April 1st here.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:20 am

That will get you fired up!

Our youth season technically starts tomorrow, but my youth, and I use that term loosely since he's 6'3", won't be able to go until Saturday morning due to school and high school baseball. Hope to spend the next few mornings nailing him down one to hunt that first morning. Then our regular opener is the 15th and I'm fired up. Have a draw hunt each of the first two weekends on land I've never been on but have received really good info from friends that have hunted them before. I can't wait. There's nothing like camping and turkey hunting!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:24 am

I saw a lot of turkeys last weekend. The population looks healthy. Walked up on a flock of Jakes and they were big. They let me get 25 yds from them. They acted like they never saw a human before. These were wild turkeys!
nor' easter

Unread postby nor' easter » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:39 pm

I'm getting excited. Most fields still have a few inches of snow, but I'm seeing some nice birds already. We don't open until may 1st so I'm going nuts. I've been pretty successful with my shotgun the past few years, but I really want to push hard this spring for my first bow bird. I tried last year and got busted drawing twice and picked the wrong pin shooting under a nice tom. Spring turkey gives me something to look forward to all winter. My 8 year old nephew wants to come along this year and check it out so I'm excited for that too.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:06 am

I always look for animals when I drive around. Haven't been seeing many birds this winter, then last Saturday I took a morning drive and saw a flock of what had to be close to 100 birds. It was insane. I estimated 20 toms on each side of this little dirt road, and tons of hens. Right next door to a 120 acre piece I used to hunt. Lost it a couple years ago. I kept the birds in check their when I could. Now they are out of control.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Johnboy

Unread postby Johnboy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:06 am

Turkeys are gobbling this morning in East Tennessee where it's 38 degrees this morning and a high today of 70 with snow on the way Saturday into Sunday. Crazy weather but the turkeys know what time it is!
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:32 am

I love hunting them. Almost as much as deer, but my season will be taking a couple kids out during the youth hunt and maybe get another kid a bird the first time zone. Shortly after that, we will be expecting a new born. So my time in the woods will be short this year. :crying-blue:
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:41 pm

I'm surprised the Florida guys aren't already posting up kill pics. Every year I say that I'm hunting Osceola's the next spring, but I've yet to make it down there.
3 more weeks in Tennessee...

thwack16 wrote:There's nothing like camping and turkey hunting!

I agree with that! Good luck!
Not all those who wander are lost...

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”