Attacked!!

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

Attacked!!

Unread postby bowmike » Fri May 20, 2016 12:46 am

My schedule anymore does not allow me to roost birds at all. I went into an area where the birds had been roosted before. I went ahead and just set up before light and just stood listening. Their were birds on opposing hillsides but each about 250 yards away, and boy they were hammering. I was pumped and decided to go try the closer birds first as I had to be out of the woods.

I made my way up the ridge to where the birds were sounding off. I came up to a dead tree with a small opening. I looked and about a foot away from my foot was a fuzzy white thing. I thought it was a skunk so I jumped back. It was still grey light and that got the old heart going.

I put the flashlight on my phone on and found out it was a baby barred owl that im assuming fell out of the nest. I kept back and snagged to pics. I was about to turn around when

WHAMMM!!!

MOMMA BARRED OWL SWOOPED ME.

I had no clue it was coming and it was out of no where. She was close enough that here breast feathers knocked my hat off.

She landed in a tree about 10' away and let out a "WHOOOOOAAAAHHHH!" I took a quick 4 second video of here bouncing from tree to tree, And took off with my hands on my head ducking between cover.

I love these owls and they amaze me but she kind of messed up my hunt. LOL There was no way to get to the gobblers on the close side of the ridge so I took off to hunt "Big Boy" who let his presence known on the opposite ridge. I beat feat to get over there but the birds this morning only gobbled for about 15 minutes.

No luck buy a wild ride. Just VERY LUCKY she only did the dive bomb maneuver and didn't have her talons out. They are ridiculously quiet and stealthy. She never made a sound until after she took my hat off. I think I would rather be faced with a bear and cubs than that to be honest. At least you can hear them.

WOW, never a dull moment with my hunting adventures and just more things to add to an already goofy season.

Here are the photos of the baby owl just before I got wacked.

So word of the wise if you ever come across a baby barred owl on the ground, just high tail it out of there and don't even take a pic. They aren't found of photo ops.

Now on a serious side, is this little guy going to be ok? Should I contact the game commission about the owl? I don't believe they are endangered or anything, and I only hope, that he is ok and not injured. I am a firm believer in letting nature do its thing, but if I should let the commission know please let me know.

Thanks for the read, and man I just cant get a break this year. LOL

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
Buckshot20
500 Club

Re: Attacked!!

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri May 20, 2016 1:33 am

Ha, that's a cool story. You got a bird story, just the wrong bird. That's why we do this stuff though. That's a memory and story of a lifetime. Cool stuff.

Kinda reminds me of a story when I was a kid. My dad and I were fishing mosquito lagoon in central Florida and we were paddling out in a canoe and it was pitch black. Well we paddled on top of a manatee. That thing freaked out and tipped the canoe over. Now it's 5:30am and we are standing in 3ft of water with all of our tackle somewhere in the sea grass.lol

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri May 20, 2016 1:50 pm

That's a too cool story! I'd just let nature run its course.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri May 20, 2016 2:31 pm

Awesome bowmike! That had to be a little freaky :lol:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri May 20, 2016 4:14 pm

Great story.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Sat May 21, 2016 12:19 am

I did contact the commission on this, and they had the same belief that I did about just letting things alone. Some birds will abandon chicks that fall out of the nest but appearantly Barred Owls are not one of them. LOL Still really cool but I just have to laugh thinking of calling my boss:

"Hey Jeff, Ill be late for work today"

"Whats going on Michael?"

"Well an owl dive bombed me and I have to go get stitches"

"Michael, get out of the turkey woods"

LOL I finaly had responsive birds today but just ran out of time and had to bail to get to work on time.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat May 21, 2016 3:28 am

I learned birds of prey are nothing to mess with. Check this out. :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=23057

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat May 21, 2016 4:11 am

Cool story... I had one of those little screech owls dive bomb my face after a staring match when I blinked. Sounds funny, but freaks you out when it happens.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”