Turkeys - After the Shot

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JoeRE
500 Club

Turkeys - After the Shot

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu May 12, 2016 3:02 am

I posted about this last year, am going to bring it up again because I feel pretty strongly about it.

I know a lot of hunters think its OK to take only the breast meat from a wild turkey and dump the rest of the bird. In fact it seems really common, which makes me a little frustrated and a little sad. I think the reasons for this are mostly people not knowing how to prepare the other meat combined with not understanding how birds are put together and how much other meat there is.

Turns out the breast is a little less than half the meat on a gobbler, I even put a scale to it to verify that. This is equivalent to only taking the hindquarters off a deer....something any decent deer hunter would agree is unacceptable waste.

These are the major parts off a bird I shot the other day.

Breast - pretty much everybody knows what to do with this I would hope :lol:

Lower wings - these have a lot more meat on them than most people realize, and in my opinion is the tastiest meat on the bird. Upper wings don't really have any meat on them so you can cut off the wing tips at the joint.

Drumsticks - these are a big reason the rest of the bird gets a bad rap. Yes, they have a bunch of fine bones in them and you cook them dry, they are going to be impenetrable....but slow cook them in a broth for a full day and everything falls apart, delicious. Even on a 3-4 year old hill country gobbler. Makes a great stock for turkey noodle soup or something like that.

Thighs- seems like some hunters don't even know these exist! Big chunks of meat - and NO SMALL BONES unlike drumsticks.

I did not get the giblets in the picture, but turkey heart and gizzard is pretty good.

I really like to skin my birds, works great. Slit it down the breast and just pull the skin off each side. I used to pluck them, it took a lot longer but the skin can help add some moisture to the mean...more on that later.

The biggest thing about wild turkey is if you cook it dry its going to be crap. There is not much fat on the bird and its not injected full of water like store bought birds. Cook it in a broth, slow cooker, or fryer and you get great results. Lots of good recipes on the web. I use a crockpot/slow cooker 90% of the time anymore. Just DON't DRY ROAST any of it like a store bought bird.

Anyway, I just wanted to share some information, hopefully will get some hunters to reconsider taking just the breast. If you are going to waste half the meat, maybe you should reconsider going turkey hunting in the first place. Don't take that the wrong way, I think a lot of good, thoughtful, hunters may have dumped everything but the breast in the past just because they didn't know, that's why I am bringing this up.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Turkeys - After the Shot

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu May 12, 2016 3:19 am

I take the breasts, thighs, and portions of the drum sticks. I leave the rest for the wilife and have no issue doing so. Same goes for yotes, muskrats, and the many other critters that have fallen prey to my traps or weapons.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu May 12, 2016 3:28 am

I will add my favorite way to cook the breast and thighs is to cold smoke for 2 hours followed by 90 minutes sous vide at 150 degrees. It is a nice alternative to classic slow cooking. Tasty!

Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Thu May 12, 2016 4:02 am

Thanks for posting this. You should always try to use as much of any animal you have killed. Waste is something I see here a lot in PA. I don't know if some people are just sloppy butchers or just plain lazy. One thing I don't like seeing is a deer carcass dumped in a parking area with all kinds of wasted meat still on the bones. I think people struggle to realize your de-boning an animal not de-meating.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Joe™
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu May 12, 2016 4:13 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:I will add my favorite way to cook the breast and thighs is to cold smoke for 2 hours followed by 90 minutes sous vide at 150 degrees. It is a nice alternative to classic slow cooking. Tasty!

Yea I just smoked a turkey breast for the first time recently, delicious. I did something similar to Hank Shaw's smoked breast recipe on his website. Interesting that you had luck doing that with thighs, I will have to try that.

As far as what you take - just the legs and breast is at least a majority of the meat. I'm not bothered by that really. I just hate finding dead birds when I am out in the woods with only the breast gone. Found another one the other day. Really what bothers me is its due to a lack of knowledge by a lot of decent folks I think which is why I bring it up. Some great tasting meat left in the woods just because a hunter didn't know better. If they did, I think they would take more. I know the trapping comparison gets used a lot as justification not to utilize hunted game, to me that situation is different, different reasons, intent and results.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu May 12, 2016 4:23 am

JoeRE wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:I will add my favorite way to cook the breast and thighs is to cold smoke for 2 hours followed by 90 minutes sous vide at 150 degrees. It is a nice alternative to classic slow cooking. Tasty!

Yea I just smoked a turkey breast for the first time recently, delicious. I did something similar to Hank Shaw's smoked breast recipe on his website. Interesting that you had luck doing that with thighs, I will have to try that.

As far as what you take - just the legs and breast is at least a majority of the meat. I'm not bothered by that really. I just hate finding dead birds when I am out in the woods with only the breast gone. Found another one the other day. Really what bothers me is its due to a lack of knowledge by a lot of decent folks I think which is why I bring it up. Some great tasting meat left in the woods just because a hunter didn't know better.

I'll likely try doubling the cook time on the thighs next time. The meat wasn't shreddable.

As far as Hank Shaw, his carnitas recipe is a great.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu May 12, 2016 6:22 am

good advice

its easiest to just gut and skin the bird and take the hole thing. I get the hole bird smoked then make it into jerky!
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu May 12, 2016 6:25 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:I take the breasts, thighs, and portions of the drum sticks. I leave the rest for the wilife and have no issue doing so. Same goes for yotes, muskrats, and the many other critters that have fallen prey to my traps or weapons.

Believe it or not muskrat is actually very good. I think people who don't like muskrat get hung up the "rat" part of their name. Thanks for posting this Joe. I think you're probably spot on about people just not knowing.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu May 12, 2016 7:20 am

Wlog wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:I take the breasts, thighs, and portions of the drum sticks. I leave the rest for the wilife and have no issue doing so. Same goes for yotes, muskrats, and the many other critters that have fallen prey to my traps or weapons.

Believe it or not muskrat is actually very good. I think people who don't like muskrat get hung up the "rat" part of their name. Thanks for posting this Joe. I think you're probably spot on about people just not knowing.

I've eaten them, no doubt. I've also eaten everything from milt soup made with yellow perch to deer kidneys. Muskrat is OK. Better than most rodents. You need to brine the musk out of it. I still wouldn't want to save a trapping seasons worth of them in my freezer.

gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Thu May 12, 2016 12:18 pm

I don't like dark meat and used to grind the thighs and legs but just made the "tomato braised turkey leg" recipe from wired to hunt and honestly they were phenomenal...like share them with everyone you know good

we owe respect to the game we kill- and I feel lousy I don't eat more of the organ meat...but deer hearts and necks have become my favs so at least I am learning to try more..hope you guys are too
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu May 12, 2016 12:59 pm

Good advice Joe. Hate to see any edible meat go to waste on any critter. My general rule is unless I am going to eat it I will not kill it.

mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Tue May 31, 2016 2:11 am

I use it all except the wings, I train my dog with those & make wing bone calls though. Smoke it usually. I also tie flies with the feathers. Mike

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”