Gonna be a tough one

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Gonna be a tough one

Unread postby oldrank » Tue May 10, 2016 12:47 pm

I took the day off work n headed out to the public for the opening day of my turkey season. I ran into more hunters today then I have n the last 10 yrs added together. I worked alot of my old areas that have produced in the past. There was lots of signs left by the earlier seasons hunters. I got one gobbler to gobble a few times around an old corn field but he never had any intentions of moving my way n zipped up quick. I covered about 10 miles on the ground trying to find some birds that may not have been hunted. Other than a couple hens dusting them selves I didnt get any more action.

I went home n cooked dinner n headed back out for an evening hunt/scout. I caught 2 toms feeding in a field but they spooked quick. I sat n let it calm down hoping they would come back but they never showed. I decided to hit all the little stuff that doesnt get noticed and caught a nice tom n 4 hens feeding on some private that butts to state land. They may be my best bet. Ive been lucky in the past patterning tight lipped birds n killing em in evening feeding areas with no calling. Looks like Its gonna be some work to get one off the public. Any tips for super pressured birds would be great !!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

tbunao
500 Club

Re: Gonna be a tough one

Unread postby tbunao » Tue May 10, 2016 1:45 pm

I can't really help with advice but I do agree with the amount of people. I think turkey hunting is something that beginners and weekend warriors can do with ease. They can get out of the house and feel productive just by driving state land to state land, parking, walking a few hundred yards calling then head to the next spot. Makes for some tight lipped birds. Just a thought I had this morning. Good luck!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Tue May 10, 2016 1:53 pm

The best seasons were you learn the most is when u grind for it. You just got to find one in the right mood and it changes from day to day. Good luck man

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue May 10, 2016 2:07 pm

My thoughts are that alot of the hunters I seen today will give up quick. If they do the birds will slip into there normal patterns n I have a good chance. If the others keep pounding it Im gonna have a tough time.

Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue May 10, 2016 6:30 pm

Knock on doors......seriously. It's a lot easier to gain permission from farmers to hunt turkeys than deer around here. You are on the right track though....target the small public parcels that have birds on the private next to them....turks don't know where the property lines are. Good luck OR!
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed May 11, 2016 4:50 am

Ack wrote:Knock on doors......seriously. It's a lot easier to gain permission from farmers to hunt turkeys than deer around here. You are on the right track though....target the small public parcels that have birds on the private next to them....turks don't know where the property lines are. Good luck OR!

I have a couple farms I have permission to hunt. I am a glutton for punishment however n would like to get it done on public. It is a personal challenge for myself.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”