calling turkeys

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fishlips
500 Club

calling turkeys

Unread postby fishlips » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:44 pm

Probably a dumb question but when you get toms responding to your calls and you can't see them but you can hear they are getting closer do you stop calling? Or do you throw some other stuff at them? Real hard when I dont have a visual to stop calling even if they are close

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: calling turkeys

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:16 pm

I stop calling. Maybe give a few soft clucks if he doesn't come in after a few minutes. How I killed my bird last year

Last edited by Hawthorne on Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:24 pm

Hawthorne wrote:I stop calling. Maybe give a few soft clicks if he doesn't come in after a few minutes. How I killed my bird last year

[ Post made via Android ]

Good advice.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:58 pm

If they're coming shut up.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:19 am

If theyre coming get quiet. In nature the hen goes to the tom, u wana get his attention, get him intrigued then seem unammused so he will come to you. If you keep calling n he keeps gobbling, he may hang up waiting on you (the interested hen) to come to him. This stand off can go on for hours.

Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:49 am

I stop when he talks. What has sealed the deal more than once for me is actually calling in hens. If you can get a hen fired up usually she can lead a gobble right to you.

Joe™
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:21 am

When I know the bird is coming in I go quiet. It drives the Tom nuts thinking the hen he was listening to has no left. He will sneak in quietly so be ready. Don't keep calling at the bird regularly, he'll pick up your games

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:43 pm

I call loud and agressive and soft. It's a feeling just talk to the birds. Let them tell you. I've had birds ignore till I amped it up. I've done some soft calls and had them come. I don't do same different pitches and different tones till I get what they want. If I can I move I do it. I don't like calling at the same bird from the same spot. People get attached to spots or blinds or even oNE certain call made perfectly bUT not me. Move and call is a favorite of mine. I've gone the other way too like hey I'm going this way you coming.

Once there coming and gobbling is louder just stop and get ready.

Don't forget the wind factors they have to hear you a soft nothing won't work depending on the wind

wiscoz7

Unread postby wiscoz7 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:11 pm

I like to do a couple soft yelps and purrs once they gobble on roost just to let them know I'm here. Then I go silent. When they come off roost and continue to gobble but don't seem to be closing distance I'll wait for him to gobble and cut him off with a gobble of my own then go silent. It has worked for me multiple times and this year also. It really can tick off the tom enough to get him to come in for a fight. This year the tom strutted right to my strutter decoy and beat the snot out of it, completely knocked my glued on real turkey wings off the decoy. After that, I let him have it!! Image

bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:45 am

I read the bird to be honest. Less is more. Especially on public land if the bird is a ways off. I have had guys cut me off and shoot the bird because I wanted to hear him gobble. I like to be more aggressive but it is all in the bird. If he is cutting me off every call and coming in fast and furious, I like to give it to him. LOL

If I am just out blind calling it is just a couple clucks. If one fires off at me and is far away I give a little time in between calling. Maybe 3-4 minutes or longer. This gives you time to judge how fast he is coming in. Plus they can pick out exactly where the call is coming from. The more you call the easier it will be for them to look right where you are sitting and bust you. Some times Ill cup my hand and turn it to try and throw the sound a little.

Fact of the matter is every bird is different, and what works for that bird one day may not work the rest. LOL Either way you to do it will kill a bird, but the big thing is reading him IMO.

Only other thing that was not discussed that I saw is if you work him slower that gives more time for the real hen to come in an botch your hunt. Once I have him interested I say give it to him good, get him excited, cutting and yelping. Once he gets withing 80 yards tone it back a little, soft yelps, maybe a couple cuts. Once he get in that 60 yard zone. Go quiet, Maybe a couple clucks here and there. You don't want him to get a bead on you.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:29 am

I found this today at lunch. This is exactly what you are looking for.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”