Calling to loud?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Re: Calling to loud?

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:38 am

I have often wondered the same... but from my observations of hens calling, they can be extremely loud!

Especially after first fly down, or when you agitate a boss hen trying to get her to pull a gobbler into range.

I guess my answer is timing dependant but I also love crystal and hard strikers and don't think we can be as loud as a big mouthed hen :)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

SRWbowhunter

Unread postby SRWbowhunter » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:40 am

^^^ I agree and of usually notice the hens being louder than I am

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:56 pm

I love cutting boss hens off before there done calling. How loud depends. You got to feel the birds what they want. It's a feeling. I've screamed in windy conditions and sweet talked. Let them tell you.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:25 am

kurt wrote:I love cutting boss hens off before there done calling. How loud depends. You got to feel the birds what they want. It's a feeling. I've screamed in windy conditions and sweet talked.[glow=red]Let them tell you[/glow].

big key to my success

"let tem tell you" ;) 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:22 am

On birds that are worked over on our public loud wont cut it come May. I go super soft n have had very good luck with it. Soft with alot of time in between. Ramping up the volume just enough occasionally to let em know im there. He wont gobble but once or twice n usually sneaks in pretty quiet .

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:47 pm

I am loud and aggressive a lot... I find that you can waste a whole day, or at least several hours on a bird that has little interest. I think its better for me to keep moving and not hang up on a bird that won't come to me. They are moody creatures and hitting him in the right mood is the key. If a bird is real big, or there are few to chase well then yea, I would slow down, quiet down, and play longer... But, if you have the ground to support it, I call loud and somewhat heavy and either kill or move. If nothing else, I have a lot of action and few boring hunts.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun May 01, 2016 10:22 am

Also depends on if you are in a tent blind. Gotta call louder if in a tent blind.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”