First scratch box, actually got some sound

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

First scratch box, actually got some sound

Unread postby bowmike » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:41 am

I have miles and miles to go with this, but I actually got some sound. I need to clean out the inside of box yet, sand the back soundboard down quite a bit, to get the tone I want, put a sound board on the top, and clean it up.

I just used a piece of oak for now since I am in the practice stage, so I imagine the wood is pretty dense to get a good sound out of. Once I get the motions down I am going to try on some poplar and walnut to get a better call. Just really happy it actually makes noise. LOL I am really enjoying this, and taking all the advice that others have given me. It really helps to have some of the nations best turkey call makers giving you tips and tricks.

Chiseling is becoming a lot easier, as is using the tools I have. Still need to learn to change the belt on my sanders. ;) but all in all I am having a blast. Just hope the call makers that are helping me don't get tired of my questions.

I know it is far from anything that would call a turkey but I will get there.

https://youtu.be/wAVe_J-m3f4

As you can see I ran out of time before work this morning to clean it up the whole way. I need to pick up some glue for when I put the top sound board on. Any suggestions?

From what I am reading the thicker your walls are the higher pitch the sounds will be. I image the same is true if you are using a denser wood. Looks like I will have to sand down the back wall of the sound board to deepen the tone.

Any advice or tips are appreciated. I think I will be giving it my best to try and make a call that I can hunt with this fall, but wont be rushing any of this.

Hopefully by next year I can be good enough to donate a call or two to the turkey contest, but not there yet that's for sure.

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”