killing too many turkeys?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
Darin
500 Club

Re: killing too many turkeys?

Unread postby Darin » Fri May 15, 2015 2:47 pm

:lol:

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri May 15, 2015 4:16 pm

That "Taken" meme is hilarious! :lol: The guy I hunted with earlier this year usually kills 4 or 5 himself, and then films maybe 6-10 other people that he takes out every spring. His methods fit it fairly well tough. He's a good caller and can afford to run-and-gun all day until he finds a fired up gobbler and spreads out the killing across the zone. Heck, we probably put a couple hundred miles on the road in our day in a half of hunting. I'd imagine more people see that favorably than if he hunted the same couple areas until all the toms were shot every year. I say as long as you have the tags and the skill, more power to ya! The haters are just jealous!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri May 15, 2015 9:59 pm

Dewey wrote:Sneak up behind him and go......

GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE

:mrgreen:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

:lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri May 15, 2015 10:32 pm

The state sets the rules...your license, youre legal, I wouldnt worry about haters.

My state allows 4 turkeys... I wish they allowed 4 more :lol: :lol: :lol:
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Sat May 16, 2015 1:01 am

IF you are seeing a low year in population in an area, you might want to only take one from each area. Sounds like you are seeing quite a few birds. I did a lot of scouting and heard a ton of birds preseason so me taking 2 was not an issue IMO.

I think that it is up to you to decide. If you are hunting an area that has a lot of birds, go for it. If you are only hearing 3 birds with your hunting and scouting, you may want to cut it down to one tag, and hunt other areas.

I think it is a case by case issue. But either way, PA season is set up after the peak breeding times anyway. Gives the population a bit of protection.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Sat May 16, 2015 1:04 am

By the way,

I put in a ton of time scouting from March until May. Put on a lot of miles to strike gobbles and such. I took two birds on public land back to back on mornings. The first hunt took over an hour and a half to strike a gobble. When I did 4 birds came in and I took one. The next morning was kind of a blind "off the roost hunt".

Would you believe I had a guy accuse me of baiting the turkey and shooting them over bait? THis floored me so bad, as I know that the guy probably put in 1/10th of the effort I did to be successful, but starts making ridiculous accusations.

I think it is a jealousy thing to be honest.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
SonofUlam

Unread postby SonofUlam » Sat May 16, 2015 2:32 am

That guy is definitely jealous. I didn't get a bird this year- but I have no one to blame but myself. Next year I need to hunt smarter and work harder. One thing the DNR is REALLY good at is making money. And while their management approaches may not always sit well with us, I'm sure they're not going to let a source of income dry up by letting people kill off all the turkeys. Just my 2 cents.

[glow=green]1 Chronicles 8:40, "The sons of Ulam were brave warriors who could handle the bow..."[/glow]
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat May 16, 2015 3:32 am

Bighunt your a Hunting Beast. which means you probably approach your turkey hunting like your deer hunting. Tons of scouting and preperation. This guy probably didn't do half of the pprep as you. If it's legal go for it.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat May 16, 2015 4:41 am

bowmike wrote:IF you are seeing a low year in population in an area, you might want to only take one from each area. Sounds like you are seeing quite a few birds. I did a lot of scouting and heard a ton of birds preseason so me taking 2 was not an issue IMO.

I think that it is up to you to decide. If you are hunting an area that has a lot of birds, go for it. If you are only hearing 3 birds with your hunting and scouting, you may want to cut it down to one tag, and hunt other areas.

I think it is a case by case issue. But either way, PA season is set up after the peak breeding times anyway. Gives the population a bit of protection.

Great points but I killed two of the three birds on state land ...and one in western Wisconsin. ..the ones that I killed over here on public they were miles apart, miles!!!!!!!!
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat May 16, 2015 6:24 am

You're killing male turkeys so I doubt it'll have much of a noticeable effect. But.... do some constructive thinking here. Your points on turkey hunting were the same of a lot of northern Wisconsin deer hunters 10 years ago.
Are you hunting for need or entertainment? That's a fine line I know cuz we all enjoy hunting.
As long as the dnr says its sustainable right? How much do you trust the dnr's numbers?
I don't disagree with guys hunting several seasons. But aren't the points I brought up viable?

186buck

Unread postby 186buck » Sat May 16, 2015 6:56 am

Comparing deer numbers in the north to killing a few extra turkeys is crazy. How many turkey are in the average hatch. I've seen hens with several little one's. At best a doe might have 2 fawns and up north that is probably rare. If anything I would say the trukey population could get out of control really fast. Not saying we should kill them all but I don't think many people are killing that many turkey's. BH is probably the rare exception most people probably get 1 or maybe 2 a year. If you are seeing a good number of Turkey go for it. But if you only see 3 turkey all season then maybe don't kill 3. Same as deer hunting. Every hunter has to decide what is right for them.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat May 16, 2015 7:04 am

Bighunt, i think you should ask the biologist viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23553&hilit=biologist

I would like to read what he has to say about it. I think he specializes in turkey and pheasants
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat May 16, 2015 7:37 am

hunter_mike wrote:Bighunt, i think you should ask the biologist viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23553&hilit=biologist

I would like to read what he has to say about it. I think he specializes in turkey and pheasants

Good thinking
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat May 16, 2015 8:29 am

I tryed talking to him today :lol: that didn't go over so well!!! I ruffled his tale feathers by trying to make some good points but he didn't want nothing to do with it lol.
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Sat May 16, 2015 9:47 am

I don't see anything wrong with it... When I was a kid growing up in central WI there was hardly a turkey to be seen in the woods that I hunted. Now during this time of year you cannot pass a farm field in the area without see a flock of hens and one or two Toms.

Yes the population may fluctuate but Turkey still have a healthy population compared to other rough birds in the state...

a little research http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/WildlifeHabitat/documents/reports/tenwkbrood.pdf

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”