Turkey hunting question

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Turkey hunting question

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun May 10, 2015 7:11 am

Hey all! Been a while since I've posted. I've been lurking though. ;)

So I've seen a group of Turkey's including at least 2 Toms in the same spot of a field the past two mornings. I'm banking on they will be there tomorrow so I set up my blind there a couple hours ago. I've seen them there at 9:30am and today at 7:30am. Must roost close by. I'm wondering if I should use decoys? Should I even call or just wait it out? I have a Tom fanned out decoy but I'm not sure how they would react. Thanks.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Turkey hunting question

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun May 10, 2015 7:39 am

Bow or shotgun? I'd use deeks with the bow.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun May 10, 2015 9:29 am

Using a shotgun.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sun May 10, 2015 9:51 am

Depending how many hens are with those toms i wouldnt even call to them on the roost. seen and done it myself too many times getting a pattern on birds wanting to be in a certain but i went in and wrecked what wasnt broken and the hens took the toms away. id try the strutter see if you can fire up the toms when they enter the field
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun May 10, 2015 10:51 am

burkhart wrote:i would go in quiet at first and if by say 10 they don't show id readjust to calls and decoys if needed . By the sounds of it you have a pattern and there is no need to fix what is nt broke. get in before daylight and wait quietly..

x2! if theyre on pattern...let them do their usual, do add anything other than your blind.

If you know where theyre exiting the field, you could probably set up there w/o the blind too.

After 10 like burkhart mentioned I would adjust, especially if the hens are nesting already
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun May 10, 2015 10:53 am

hunter10 wrote:Depending how many hens are with those toms i wouldnt even call to them on the roost. seen and done it myself too many times getting a pattern on birds wanting to be in a certain but i went in and wrecked what wasnt broken and the hens took the toms away. id try the strutter see if you can fire up the toms when they enter the field

I like your thinking. No calls but use the strutter. I already messed up a hunt on Friday that cost me a Tom. I called and the hen dragged him away. There was nothing else I could do in that scenario. I've only called in one Tom from hens ever in 15 years of hunting.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon May 11, 2015 5:32 am

burkhart wrote:Look forward to the results good luck

I never called at all. Right at 6am a hen came right into the decoys and fed around them. She went off and an hour later a hen came back from where she came followed by 3 hens. Then 2 Jake's came out following them. They ran to the strutter with bright red heads. They got right up to it and flapped their wings. I passed on them at first because they were jakes. But then thought it's my last day and this was the flock I was after so as they walked away I aimed..fired and got a Jake. Patterning paid off. Not calling paid off too. I never heard a single gobble all morning. Thanks for the advice guys.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”