Mouth call gobbling

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

Mouth call gobbling

Unread postby bowmike » Sat May 09, 2015 1:43 am

I am not great at this but it was the only reason I bagged my gobbler yesterday morning. He was henned up and I called his hen in twice, on two set ups, but he would not come in. I figured that if I gobbled he would get ticked off and come in. The hen was too close so the gobble tube was a no go.

I have been playing around with how to make a decent sounding gobble with my mouth call. Thank god for a long commute to work. There are a few ways to do it and many can be found on youtube.

I simply do a very loud high pressure yelp but wiggle my hand in front of my mouth a bit. It sounds goofy to us but my longbeard from this morning heard that, double gobbled and came right in spitting and drumming. I am not an expert call, nor am I terrible but he would not come any closer with typical clucks, and soft yelps. The gobble sound did him in.

Might be something for you guys who are mouth call guys like my self to give a try. You never know.

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Mouth call gobbling

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat May 09, 2015 1:47 am

Thanks for the tip. I may try this on my commute too.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Sat May 09, 2015 4:53 am

I love the gobble call. Works for me about 25% of the time I'd say in the right situation. I killed my first bird this year thanks to the mouth gobble.
365buckin

Unread postby 365buckin » Wed May 13, 2015 4:17 am

God is it hard to get perfected though. I have been practicing it all spring. It is by far the hardest for me to learn how to do and sound right.
Be in the woods as often as you can....and as long as you can!
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Wed May 13, 2015 4:27 am

Mine doesn't sound that much like a real turkey but as long as they think it does, is all that matters to me. ;)

I agree, some of the youtube videos I watched the guys make it sound perfect. I think it helps if you are a duck hunter and can get that "tukka, tukka, tukka" thing down. I don't hunt ducks, maybe that's my downfall ;)
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:41 am

Just learn to do it Preston Pittman style and gobble with natural voice :D I've been getting much better at mouth calls this spring, trying to reteach my bad habits and learn to help from the clear front end rolling into the raspy back end. Initially I had learned to say "chuck-chuck-chuck" and developed a flat yelp.

I've considered making an mp3 file of a bunch of natural hen calling videos and calling competition videos on Youtube. Then I can space them out on the file and make it like a "learning a language" CD I can play on my commute. The announcer says "Excited hen", then the champion caller does his thing, and then I try to replicate during the silence. In addition to call practice I can begin to learn what an excited hen, or lost jake, or flydown cackle, etc should sound like and can freestyle more once I get comfortable. I think gobbling is a ways off :lol:
TN Whitetail Freak
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/307728519407218/

Unread postby TN Whitetail Freak » Thu May 14, 2015 2:37 pm

i learned to do the gobble on a mouth call by shaking my head side to side and letting my big cheeks make the gobble and cupping my mouth at the end dampening the end note....its pretty good except i get dizzy lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”