thoughts?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

thoughts?

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue May 05, 2015 3:17 pm

So today my hidden roost was quiet...ran to the next roost over and got to the top of the hill...hen clucking and purring not 40yds away...

I cut hard at her trying to pick a fight...the evening before I saw a longbeard and hen heading for that roost...

She shut down...but a gobbler cut me off..

He double gobbled on his own a few times 100yds away on the next point over...

He gobbled a few more times...got quiet a while...I stayed quiet a while...hit the call clucking and purring and he would cut me off..

Gave him the silent treatment and he gobbled pretty good on his own...wasn't moving a whole lot..got a little closer..

Eventually he started gobbling going away from me...I gave him 20mins as I heard another distant gobble...I've had that happen and its a race to the gun..

I then beat feet around the hill to try to cut him off and setup in front of them knowing he was heading for a field/gas line..

I rounded the last bend in the trail and there he was...40yds away...full strut...beard hitting the grass...he's a good bird...

I work till next Monday...

Tomorrow's weather looks crappy....

Wednesday I work 2-10...I have to leave by noon at the latest...and getting sleep could be a bit troublesome depending what time I goto bed tomorrow...

Weekend pressure is worry-some...

But I have a Dakota Jake coming this week...

Do I try to push it and get on him Wednesday?

Wait till Monday?

Both days?

Its early in the season...I have my decoy coming and in this situation I think it'd be killer knowing where he is heading...

I have 2 tags and like 7 days off to fill them...plus a few mornings and a few evenings to hunt...

I don't know what to do....I don't wanna pressure him too much...that's the big thing...right now he's there and not spooked and not completely "safe" he shouldn't be completely molested there either...

Today he kinda sorta seen me...he dropped strut and looked around and slowly walked down the trail...

Guess the big thing is see how I sleep and how I feel...I work a lot of double backs this week...like today 3-11 and tomorrow 7-3..wed 2-10 and Thursday 7-3..that's why sleep is a big concern...not me being a sissy lol...tonight I will be lucky to get 6hrs sleep...on a cot because there's no reason to drive home and back so I sleep on a cot at work...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: thoughts?

Unread postby dan » Tue May 05, 2015 9:01 pm

I never killed much of anything by backing off when he is on a routine... Whats the worse can happen? You fail and have to find another bird... Keep at him hard.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue May 05, 2015 9:17 pm

dan wrote:I never killed much of anything by backing off when he is on a routine... Whats the worse can happen? You fail and have to find another bird... Keep at him hard.

Right ....if he's in a routine, then set up and surprise him...if it doesn't work out move on
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue May 05, 2015 11:35 pm

I hate getting up early with not enough sleep too but it sounds like a slam dunk if you do.

The other option is if you have the evening free go right to where he was roosted and set up 2 or 3 hours before fly up. A few clucks, a little leaf scratching, an evening roost setup is my favorite tactic for birds that didn't cooperate in the morning. Best of all a full night's sleep.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Tue May 05, 2015 11:39 pm

Not really worth finding the roost, then backing off in season is there? Hunting is fun and all, but we need to take care of ourselves, physically and our responsibilities first.
When you can, get after him and locate another just in case this one doesn't work out. I'm not a fan of having all my eggs in one basket.
Best of luck.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed May 06, 2015 1:44 am

Thanx guys....I agree 100%...that's my feelings....

Can't say its a pattern...but it sure sounded like he hits that field and struts his stuff...

I'm gunna try to get to bed super early and get up and get on him...we'll see if I can pull it off...

He's a goodun...

I lacked in my scouting this year...focused on deer...turkey I can usually play by ear and get on them...I have a bunch of other spots to hunt...but knowing he is there and seems like a boss I wanna tag him!

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed May 06, 2015 7:30 am

Looks like a storm right about roosting time....

I don't know why but I've had good luck after a storm the evening prior...maybe just the fact the woods are wet and I can get in closer...

I need it to slip in on this bird...

Gunna try to get to bed and be sleeping by 9 tonight so I can get up and hunt and not be too concerned about going to sleep before work...

I didn't sleep yesterday and I'm good as long as I get good sleep tonight...

My line of work I can't show up like a zombie...can't risk that...sleep pending and I'm gunna be there in the morning...

Oh ya....my skull from my buck is done!going to pick it up on my way home!!

Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Wed May 06, 2015 2:00 pm

Good luck! pulling myself out of bed early in the morning this past season after a long trek out of the swamp the night before landed me my best buck to date last year...

Sounds like you have this bird patterned... If you can swing it I would forgo the sleep and hit him in the morning :twisted:
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed May 06, 2015 9:36 pm

I'm here...

Bright moon...wet ground...foggy conditions....I looked at the map..and realized tracks I saw in the mud that day on the trail were his...he struts on a point and goes to the trail then gas line/field...

He does it today he's got a 2oz load of magnum blends waiting...

Should sound off any minute...I hope!

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed May 06, 2015 10:48 pm

Well....should have stayed in bed...and think I'm going back to bed...

1 short gobble on the backside of the gas line...he was gobbling once every few mins...

My big ones hen sounded off...she's still here...can't see her but I can hear her calling more than I would lol...she's looking for the same thing I am...

Did he get killed yesterday?? No tracks or anything from anyone being on this farm...

The short gobble seems to know better than to even talk to HIS hens....but he hasn't said a peep...or isnt here...his hen was right where I thought they'd be...

Very odd...I dont know what to think...

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu May 07, 2015 12:00 am

mauser06 wrote:Well....should have stayed in bed...and think I'm going back to bed...

1 short gobble on the backside of the gas line...he was gobbling once every few mins...

My big ones hen sounded off...she's still here...can't see her but I can hear her calling more than I would lol...she's looking for the same thing I am...

Did he get killed yesterday?? No tracks or anything from anyone being on this farm...

The short gobble seems to know better than to even talk to HIS hens....but he hasn't said a peep...or isnt here...his hen was right where I thought they'd be...

Very odd...I dont know what to think...

Anything could of happend......he could of got caught up somewhere and just didn't make it back in time...that happens a lot when it's cloudy and they can't see the sun.....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu May 07, 2015 2:10 am

That's what my gut is saying....

I've seen that when it storms around roost time...which is did last night...

I think that's why the hunting can be good...they sometimes get separated from their hens...

Ive also seen them fly right up when a storm comes in and sleep where they sleep...literally seen one hen roost in a tiny tree in a treeline due to weather..

That scenario played out in my head as I walked out....and I swore I heard his gobble where I started Monday morning...I hit my crow call and nothing...but I'm 75% certain it was him...and he wouldn't shock gobble on Monday...

I will be back after him...

bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Thu May 07, 2015 4:20 am

you only have a month to get it done. I would stay on him. I would watch though as he may come in silent.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu May 07, 2015 4:26 am

The more I think about it the more I am sure it was him...it wasn't one of those "ahh maybe a turkey gobble" moments...it was "there he is! That's HIS gobble" moments...

When he didn't gobble at the crow call I thought maybe I was nuts...but when in posted last I realized that he didn't gobble at anything except my calls and on his own on Monday....

Now do I bank on him roosting in Monday's spot? Or today's spot?? Thinking the rain moved in and he flew up to the other roost..that's the direction I saw them coming from Sunday evening...

Gunna try to get glass on him Thursday and Friday after work...but just because I don't see/hear him doesn't mean he isn't going to one of the 2 spots. Worth the time to try to figure it out...

And I can hunt quick Saturday again...Monday and Tuesday off....and Wednesday morning I think...

Wanna take a ride to the big woods n run n gun and stretch the legs too Mon/Tues...I became obsessed over another big bird on that same farm a while back and it about killed me..he was fun to hunt and taught me a lot though...

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri May 08, 2015 10:21 am

Just got glass on him....

Didn't get a great look but the look I did get made my jaw drop...I swear his spurs aughta push an inch and a half...beard is over 10" all day...I'm gunna guess its closer to the 11-12" range than it is 10"... If he quits dragging the dang thing around! Its honestly hitting grass in full strut...

He was heading to Mondays roost....

I got my Dakota Jake yesterday....I have the perfect spot for it...if he goes out the field/trail/gas line he will see it....could be exactly what I need to get him to come in..

I've hunted birds like this and had his hens take him away from me every time...I think he may loose it if he sees a Jake on HIS hill...that roost is known for 2yos from my experience....its usually loaded up heavy and sounds crazy because they all go bonkers....I'd say he's the reason the hill is quiet...they know better...

Can't hunt tomorrow.....sleep pending I will be there Saturday...if not it'll be Monday....

Saturday is danger if I do...danged if I don't...my truck could deter other hunters...but at the same time they see it and say "must be a good spot". Private posted land but no one will enforce it...land owners don't care...everyone around knows land around here is usually a free for all...

My feeling is to get up there and get the decoy set in the dark and when they hit the ground and get close do a little soft calling to catch his attention...

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”