woods or fields

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brkissl82
500 Club

woods or fields

Unread postby brkissl82 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:35 pm

So i know a lot of turkey hunters like tk hunt open fields for turkeys. We all see "professional" hunters on tv doing it we see birds in fields driving around. So i got to wonderin do u guys prefer to hunt in the woods or fields for turkeys. I ask this because i always seem to have more luck huntin them in the woods so just curious what u guys thought

[ Post made via Android ] Image

BigHunt

Re: woods or fields

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:51 pm

both
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:46 pm

Both.

It's easier to call them in the woods. Also easier in a woods with thicker forest floor than open hardwoods. A tom has a higher tendency to wander in close during strut when he knows his visual presence is obstructed.

It is easier to AGGRESSIVELY decoy in the open. Full strut decoys. I haven't reaped one yet, but I'd guess it shines when working them in the open. I'm not a fan of lone hen decoys in the open. It goes against nature. In that situation, the hen comes to the tom.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:57 pm

Both. find more adrenaline filled hunt watching them work through the woods but ive killed many birds out inside field corners. Spent saturday raking trails from field edge into bush a ways for sneaking in to setup the double bull and dsd's when i hunt the spot
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:30 pm

Both.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:07 pm

Wherever the birds are....just have to apply the right tactics for where you are hunting.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:50 pm

I hunt both, but prefer open areas where I can see the bird coming or not coming, and see what he is up to... When you can see your bird you can call based on what he is doing, or based on his reaction... For example I have called many gobblers away from hens just by timing my calls when the hens get out of his view or a little ahead of him.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:54 pm

Mostly woods

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:04 am

I prefer timber, easier to be mobile. Also in fields toms are more often with hens already. Typically I will watch them in a field till they enter the woods then move in.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:42 am

dan wrote:I hunt both, but prefer open areas where I can see the bird coming or not coming, and see what he is up to... When you can see your bird you can call based on what he is doing, or based on his reaction... For example [glow=red]I have called many gobblers away from hens just by timing my calls when the hens get out of his view or a little ahead of him[/glow].

This is one of my favorite tactics when hunting farmland when I can view the turkey from a distance.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”