Decoy question

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigburner

Decoy question

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:40 pm

I often find myself at the truck staring at my jake and my hen wondering which one to grab as far as using just one decoy for running and gunning with the bow. regardless of the fact if you are using a gun or a bow if you guys could only use one decoy what would it be? Does your preference change as the season progresses based on the stages that the birds are in? I know there are some guys on here that have had a lot of kills with a bow without a ground blind so I was curious to your approach. I really have to be on top of things in my neck of the woods do to lack of terrain or should I say no terrain and thick cover. its extremely difficult to make a move on a bird and I rely heavily on a decoy or decoys to pull them in. I've drawn on a bunch of birds (jakes) but have yet to kill a mature bird without a blind. I'm really wanting to get over this hurdle.

Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
BigHunt

Re: Decoy question

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:04 pm

DSD hands down along with a Tom decoy not a jake....Jakes seem to spook old toms
Last edited by BigHunt on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:17 pm

Ask this question a dozen times you'll get a dozen different answers. I'd carry both for running and gunning. Takes a second to pick em up and go.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:59 am

Like muddy mentioned youll get lots of different answers.. so ill add mine to the pile! lol. I enjoy doing some running and gunning during the season if im running out of time and my view is if you have folding decoys take the hen and jake or single hen.

long beards dont like to see a jake and hen pair majority of time, they also like to see a lone hen calling at them, they dont seem as interested if a single jake is in sight but no hen.. usually if the long beard comes to investigate and still only sees one jake but hears a hen (you) chattering right in front of him.. he will spook most time IMO
Fatal

Unread postby Fatal » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:47 am

Single hen for me

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”