Chilly morning Gobbler #2

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Chilly morning Gobbler #2

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:57 am

Second morning of the season began as a chilly one. Frost on the ground everywhere. I had roosted some birds high on a ridge top Saturday afternoon.

As long as the birds didnt limb hop during the night, I knew exactly where the limbs that literally separated the boys from the girls :lol: The boys were up in the tallest trees on the very ridge top. The hens were down the edge of the ridge a little, close to halfway, and was roosting on a stand of oaks on the edge of a secondary point.

I came up with a plan. It was a risky one, and could have just as easily busted the birds out. However, the day before i was fortunate enough as well as my daughter to both take a gobbler.

My plan was going to have to happen super early. I was going to enter between the gobbler, and the hens. Plan was to approach from the side of the ridge to my kill zone. I was able to get between a hen and a gobbler roosted.

The gobbler started the game off. He was gobbling at everything that made a noise in the woods...the hen still never made a sound! This was one of those instances where when he was limb gobbling, and I decided to let him hear something other than crows and a distant hoot owl. A few soft tree yelps and I stopped. He fired off immediately. I could see him limb walking and 3/4 strutting and gobbling. For me that is the excitement to see that stuff!! The real hen finally done a fast fly down cackle and hit the ground. I heard her fly down but could turn to watch her in fear the gobbler would see me. My gosh when her feet were on the ground, she started yelping LOUD! It made the hair on my neck stand up. He pitched off but stayed on top gobbling. She was yelping and thought I better do something before she walks up the hill to him. I tried to interupt her, but she went silent! I thought my gig was over. Then I seen a hen walking along the side of the ridge, away from me. This may actually work out!! He was uphill from me, and I was now in between the two!! As he made his way off the edge of the ridge crest, he is going to walk right by me....well, not by me, I didnt let him get that far :)

Not the biggest, mature gobbler, but what a blast to hunt!!
He was 18.5 lbs, 9.3/4" beard and 1"

Bigburner

Re: Chilly morning Gobbler #2

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:59 am

Sounded like some serious fun. Great job and congrats! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
feutza
500 Club

Unread postby feutza » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:34 pm

Awesome bird

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:51 pm

Congrats!