Evening turkey hunts!

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

sunset samurai

Evening turkey hunts!

Unread postby sunset samurai » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:57 am

When thinking of turkey hunting everyine invisions the dawn patrol gobbling that leads to a punched tag which is AWESOME! Do any of you hardcore turkey guys have any advice for evening hunts? Iv never ventured after them much in the afternoons but wouldnt mind giving it a shot to afford more opportunities. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Rome

Re: Evening turkey hunts!

Unread postby Rome » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:27 am

If you can scout, sometimes you will see a pattern back to roost, then just setup along that route.
I prefer to just run and gun afternoon and evening. Drive around until you see birds, then go after them. It helps to have a lot of spots/permission.

hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:08 pm

Mid afternoon is a great time to chase longbeards. They are usually alone because the hens have left to go sit on their nests so getting aggressive on the call will usually get the long beard fired up and either call him in or move in on him. As previously noted, scouting by driving the back roads will determine what field they are feeding in the afternoon/evening. find their roost and either hunt them there in the morning or setup on the field during the afternoon with light clucks, purrs and a few yelps and wait for them to come feed.
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:34 am

Im with Rome, i like to get permission for at least 7 or 8 places just for the fact that after work i can drive past all of them and if any are out i can make a gameplan to sneak up on them. If that doesnt pan out, i have plenty of time to go to other spots and sit and wait for them to come back and roost.

JROD157

Unread postby JROD157 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:24 am

Find the scat at the bottom of the trees and sit under it. I have had success waiting on them to come home.
**Caution- if he shows up after sunset, you are stuck there until it is pitch black, or you run the risk of providing him a bachelors degree on how to stay alive and scaring him from the roost.
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:01 pm

Birds I have killed in the afternoon have all been patterned through scouting.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”