mouth calls for beginners

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ZSV
500 Club

mouth calls for beginners

Unread postby ZSV » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:21 am

I'm pretty new to turkey hunting, this year will be my third year. The more I hunt the more I learn. Last year I learned that I should probably buy and learn to use a mouth call. I haven't killed a turkey yet and I'm pretty confident that if I had a mouth call last year I would have gotten my first turkey. I had two toms coming in and stopped calling with my slate call to set up for a shot when they got close. Once I stopped calling they stopped coming and eventually turned around and left never to come back. Maybe I would have gotten one if I could of kept calling...maybe not. Anyway it never hurts to have a different type of call...

My question is: What is a good mouth call for beginners?

Also, are there any youtube videos you would recommend watching to help to use the call?

Thanks!

“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: mouth calls for beginners

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 am

Straight single or double reed. No crazy cuts. I've tried many and my favorite is still the simple double.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
SonofUlam

Unread postby SonofUlam » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:45 pm

Like you I'm learning too. I've found this video pretty helpful
http://youtu.be/0UBwkHwPZaE

I've also found keeping my mouth call in the car all the time gives me a chance to practice when I'm alone. My 7 min. drive to work may not sound like a lot- but doing it nearly everyday can sure add up to a lot of practice.

I used to practice with my wife in the car too- you can guess how long that lasted. :D

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=green]1 Chronicles 8:40, "The sons of Ulam were brave warriors who could handle the bow..."[/glow]
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:40 pm

Here are a couple videos a friend made that will help anyone learning to use a diaphragm call....

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.vimeo.com/3295947[/bbvideo]

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.vimeo.com/3363141[/bbvideo]

And if you are looking for a super easy and realistic call, check out Jeff Fredrick's Champion Choice calls. Jeff is a great guy and 12 time Wisconsin State champion caller who knows how to stretch a good call. You'll find that they are night and day different than any mass-produced call.

Jeff's calls are actually what you're hearing in the videos above.

http://fredrickchampionschoice.com/
msailor

Unread postby msailor » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:59 am

Stay simple and get something that takes very little air.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:01 am

Double reed straight is the way to go. Something like a HS double D or old boss hen. I always find these sound the best once you get them dialed anyhow. You can transition form purrs to clucks to cuts and whatever real simple. I have a few cut reads that sound OK but I usually find that one is better for only a couple differents sounds rather than being able to cover everything with the double. keep it simple and then mess around with a few different ones. PLus it seems the cost of these things keeps getting astronomical which I don't understand for something that probabley costs 50 cents to make.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
ZSV
500 Club

Unread postby ZSV » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:21 am

Thanks for all of the great advice guys!

I browsing at Bass Pro a yesterday and I'll probably end up with the HS beginners pack...it comes with a how to dvd.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:06 pm

If those H.S. Ones still come with a DVD that is mostly all real hen footage, get it. That is a good video. I think I started on a H.S. Cuttin 2.5 I really like the Cane Creek CC Smoker now. Have fun and good luck! That first bird will happen soon!

Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:30 am

"If those H.S. Ones still come with a DVD that is mostly all real hen footage, get it"

That's the thing, if you have had much opportunity to listen to real hens... They sound like crap compared to hunters calls. I don't think it is so much how you sound when you call, but your cadence and what call(cluck, purr, yelp, etc).
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:49 pm

Hilts wrote:"If those H.S. Ones still come with a DVD that is mostly all real hen footage, get it"

That's the thing, if you have had much opportunity to listen to real hens... They sound like crap compared to hunters calls. I don't think it is so much how you sound when you call, but your cadence and what call(cluck, purr, yelp, etc).

I agree. You can make a picture perfect yelp sequence in the wrong cadence and it won't do you much good. Some times I start out a string of yelps raunchy sounding on purpose.

Quite a few years ago my dad and I heard yelping on a logging road and I made the mistake of saying " no way, that is a crappy sounding box call" A few minutes later we see a big headed tom and hen. I was wrong

Just like Johnny Cash said GET RHYTHM
!

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:50 am

[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uPXoGEZeYg[/bbvideo]

I bought the 4 call mechanics kit from Calling All Turkeys this year and followed the instructions in the video. I'm not sure if my tongue is ambidextrous lol, but I can get sound pretty easily out of both of the combo and reverse combo cut. They are all pretty easy to get sound out of, but the double reed straight cut makes a "cleaner" note, while the others are really raspy. Shane was the MN state calling champion this year.
ZSV
500 Club

Unread postby ZSV » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:20 am

Thanks again guys! I ended up getting the HS calls with the beginners video, unfortunately it doesn't have the actual hens on it. I've been watching how to's and hen footage on YouTube and practicing as much as possible. Hopefully I'll sound enough like a hen when the season gets here.

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:44 am

ZSV wrote:Thanks again guys! I ended up getting the HS calls with the beginners video, unfortunately it doesn't have the actual hens on it. I've been watching how to's and hen footage on YouTube and practicing as much as possible. Hopefully I'll sound enough like a hen when the season gets here.

I follow Calling All Turkeys on Facebook and they post quite a few videos of actual turkeys calling in the woods. One I remember was a hen that yelped like 100 notes in a single string.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”