How soon is too soon to start kids?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JROD157

How soon is too soon to start kids?

Unread postby JROD157 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:24 am

In your opinion, is there an age too early to start a kid on a turkey hunt?

My daughter will be next to 4 yrs old this spring. Is it too soon to get her in a blind and experience what hunting is all about?

Additionally, what a bout a 4 year old shooting a crossbow?

headgear
500 Club

Re: How soon is too soon to start kids?

Unread postby headgear » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:11 am

It really depends on the kid. I started bringing mine along at 3 but I should be clear we weren't actually hunting. Just kind of our for walk exploring the woods and looking for tracking and any animals we could find. I would bring the bow along so they thought we were hunting. Often we would chase lions, moose, bear, elephants you get the idea. By 4 the background playground was a deer stand and we did some light ground hunting. By 5 they were in a stand with me doing some short bow and rifle hunts, some duck and grouse hunting. Each year I hope to add a little time and get them out and do a little more. Right now I have a 7 year old boy, 5 year old girl the youngest boy is 2 and will be 3 by the time next season rolls around. Busy busy!!!
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:46 am

I personally feel it's impossible to put an "age" on this topic. It really comes down to each individual child. The key to the process is to make sure you are honest to yourself about your kid. As die hard hunters, we as parents want our kids to be die hard hunters too. But, we can't expect that out of them at an early age. Each kid is different, as it's each parents responsibility to determine when they are ready, and for how much they are ready for, at each age. Pushing them too early, as has been said time and time again, will drive them away. I've seen it happen many, many times.

The whole key to this is to go into each hunt without expectations. You can't say you're going to hunt for 2 hours, because you might end up hunting for 2 minutes. When he's done, we're done. I never try to push it. The other key is to never get mad at them when they talk too loud or are moving too much or whatever else might "ruin" the hunt. Also know that your plans will change constantly.

An example - My son joined me for an early goose field hunt this past September. After I had 3 birds down, my son noticed all the grasshoppers in the hay field we were setup in and just had to go catch as many as he could. We could've gotten in the blinds and easily gotten 2 more birds to fill the limit, but chasing grasshoppers around a field was more fun to him...and to be honest, myself too. We were running around, diving at them, falling over, etc...for TWO HOURS!!!
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:48 am

FWIW - my son has been joining for duck/pheasant hunts on the backpack carrier since he was 6 months old. He hopped in the turkey and deer ground blinds at 4. He'll be in a treestand next fall at 5.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:35 am

If they ask to go take them. Take plenty of things to keep them busy and enjoy the time spent afield. Take time to explain and point out as much as you can. Plan for a short hunt and be happy if it's longer.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
mihunter101

Unread postby mihunter101 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:02 pm

Rome wrote:I personally feel it's impossible to put an "age" on this topic. It really comes down to each individual child. The key to the process is to make sure you are honest to yourself about your kid. As die hard hunters, we as parents want our kids to be die hard hunters too. But, we can't expect that out of them at an early age. Each kid is different, as it's each parents responsibility to determine when they are ready, and for how much they are ready for, at each age. Pushing them too early, as has been said time and time again, will drive them away. I've seen it happen many, many times.

The whole key to this is to go into each hunt without expectations. You can't say you're going to hunt for 2 hours, because you might end up hunting for 2 minutes. When he's done, we're done. I never try to push it. The other key is to never get mad at them when they talk too loud or are moving too much or whatever else might "ruin" the hunt. Also know that your plans will change constantly.

An example - My son joined me for an early goose field hunt this past September. After I had 3 birds down, my son noticed all the grasshoppers in the hay field we were setup in and just had to go catch as many as he could. We could've gotten in the blinds and easily gotten 2 more birds to fill the limit, but chasing grasshoppers around a field was more fun to him...and to be honest, myself too. We were running around, diving at them, falling over, etc...for TWO HOURS!!!

X2 to this, especially the 2nd paragraph. And their level of interest will change with time. My son has been tagging along since he was 2. Now he's 13 and if it's not a girl or on Xbox, he's not interested. My daughter didn't show any interest until this last year (7), so now she's my hunting buddy :D
Let's go Brandon!
JROD157

Unread postby JROD157 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:17 am

My daughter has shown major interest in going turkey hunting. She is not 4 yet. We build "blinds" with pillows and I put my turkey mount in the living room and she pretends to call and shoot the turkey. I hide antlers around the house and she goes "shed" hunting.Then she will hide them and I will find them. In the house its great fun, just not sure if this will translate in the woods.
Her mom wants to paint her nails, my compromise is she can after her first turkey kill. She knows the deal and that may be why she is so anxious to get it done. She can spot a flock of geese from a mile away though (love that). The interest is there.
I am pumped to take on the new challenge of having my kid with me and I want to do it right. Not sure I can wait another whole year and I don't think she can either.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”