Turkey hunting vest

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kidd

Turkey hunting vest

Unread postby Kidd » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:26 am

I'm in the market for a turkey vest. Thoughts of likes or dislikes of the vest your using would be appreciated. I'm looking for something light but with plenty of options for storing calls and one with a seat pad. I also like that some have a game bag that can also be used for carrying decoys. Thank you for you input and opinions.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Brad

Re: Turkey hunting vest

Unread postby Brad » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:28 am

I have one for sale that's pretty light and been used exactly twice. It's in mossy oak if that makes a difference. If you want to see pics let me know. I switched to a double bull wild thing pack and it has room for all my calls so I no longer have a use for this.

msailor

Unread postby msailor » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:59 am

I am selling one too. It's nice, I just stopped using a vest. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28306
Light and comfortable is hard to find in a vest, this ol' tom was as close as I've come to those criteria. It does have a game pouch too.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:53 am

Cabela's Tactical Tat'r when I'm running and gunning.

Decoy bag if I'm decoying in a blind with the bow.

Nothing for my reaping set up. Mouth call, decoy, weapon.
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:46 am

If I still used a vest, that Cabelas Tactical Tat'r M.O.R.E. vest would be calling my name. That thing is sweet!

The one I used to have was this one linked below. Yeah, it was "for ladies" but I got it super cheap at the Bass Pro Catalog Outlet store in Springfield, and I'm not a very big guy so it fit me just fine. I modified it though and cut the seat out of it because I use it as just a bow hunting vest now. For turkey hunting now I carry one of those gobbler lounger type chairs, and a sling or fanny pack.

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-for-Her-Camo-Turkey-Vests-for-Ladies/product/10210730/
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
Kidd

Unread postby Kidd » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:25 am

I have been using a fanny pack but found it to be too small and make too muck noise with calls clanging around. It only has one pocket with side pouches that I never felt comfortable using for fear I would loose something. What are you guys using when u say you don't use a vest anymore?

Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:27 am

I now only bow hunt turkeys so I use a wild thing pack. It carries my ground blind, chair, tripod, calls, water, snacks, book, and anything else I think I need.
Kidd wrote:I have been using a fanny pack but found it to be too small and make too muck noise with calls clanging around. It only has one pocket with side pouches that I never felt comfortable using for fear I would loose something. What are you guys using when u say you don't use a vest anymore?

RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:04 pm

I bought one from Bass Pro a few years ago when I started seriously hunting birds. I think it was a NWTF vest and had a great seat attached and plenty of storage. I used it 2 years and always ended up rooting for my stuff and carrying too much junk I didn't need. I consider myself a pretty decent turkey hunter now and I gave up the vest idea. It's great in theory but always ends up in the way when I stalk a bird or crawl into a field to stake a decoy while a hot bird is coming in. I now just throw the seat pad in my mesh decoy bag I bought...got it at Bass Pro too and I think it's mainly for goose decoys because its large...works great for my turkey decoys though. Now I just take my slate call a few strikers, a mouth call or 2 for backup and some snacks in a regular backpack. Camera and rain gear and I'm set pretty much. For this season I bought a brand new Enticer Wet One pot call from enticerturkeycalls.com and this thing is AWESOME!! Check him out...He lives not far from me. I also use and Avian X jake decoy and a Dakota Decoys lookout hen in case anyone wondered and they have way proven themselves successful on tough to hunt birds!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”