What decoys are u carrying

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Re: What decoys are u carrying

Unread postby Brad » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:00 pm

I use a Dave Smith feeder, upright and then I have a dakota Extreme jake with a Dave Smith submissive hen in front of it. Works great, best money I ever spent for turkey hunting, just had to get used to not crying when I bought them. There is a huge difference in reactions when I started using these decoys, they come right in to them and I am shooting most of my birds at 5 and 6 yards now.

http://www.davesmithdecoys.com/

http://bestturkeydecoy.com/

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:11 pm

Most of my turkey kills are stalking and calling, but I've had some success with the pretty boy full struts with real fans and also the convenuonal Jake and hen set ups.

I plan to attempt fanning a lot more this year. I want a reap kill bad! I'll be using a mojo scoot and shoot and a flextone thunder chicken attached to my bow.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:17 pm

I know the feeling, I had a huge tom come in last spring and I shot him at 5 steps. He didn't care and continued beating on my decoy, I had to stop and think for a second because I was sure I would hit my jake with the next arrow but decided to risk it. I ended up hitting him just right and he turned before it came out but it was a hard call to make when they cost that much $.

burkhart wrote:I had a dsd jake and hen and they are amazing however it added a lot of stress to hunting because I would not let my buddies shot birds around my decoys. Too much money to be putting holes into them.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:35 pm

75 percent public:25 percent private

Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:12 pm

Just sold off my DSD jake, so I'll only be running a DSD hen and my feathered strutter this season. Over the last several years of owning the jake I have never had a mature gobbler go to it......only young birds. Every single time I have the jake out with my other two dekes the birds ALWAYS go to the strutter. Easy decision to sell the jake with results like that. I also have a Thunder Chicken set up for fanning.....just haven't had the best scenario yet to use it.
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:53 am

I can confirm the big boys coming straight to that DSD jake.
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
bbrilmyer

Unread postby bbrilmyer » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:29 am

The new decoy from Mojo looks awesome.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:01 am

Never used a strutter but they always attack my BTD decoy.

staincat

Unread postby staincat » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:15 am

I've used foldable hen decoys and strapped a fan to it and it has worked great. Now I run a big tom decoy with a fan on it as well. Only use the one decoy and it works for run n gun or for sits. I've had numerous Tom's sprint into it.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:39 am

burkhart wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:75 percent public:25 percent private

U most love adrenilin.... Id be hard to talk into walking around public ground with a fan on my gun..... to many trigger happy hunters in the spring woods here in missouri

More like quiet woods. The birds and public land is plentiful in Central WI. I would be less apt to grab the fan in a full parking lot.

But yes, I am an adrenalin junkie

msailor

Unread postby msailor » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:05 am

burkhart wrote:Well my wallet took charge today and I settles on the BPS reality hen and jake both rubber bodied and look pretty good.... We'll see what the turkeys think come april

DSD strutter judges you. JK.

msailor

Unread postby msailor » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:07 am

Does anybody use a motion stake for their strutter?
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:38 am

Ack wrote:Just sold off my DSD jake, so I'll only be running a DSD hen and my feathered strutter this season. Over the last several years of owning the jake I have never had a mature gobbler go to it......only young birds. Every single time I have the jake out with my other two dekes the birds ALWAYS go to the strutter. Easy decision to sell the jake with results like that. I also have a Thunder Chicken set up for fanning.....just haven't had the best scenario yet to use it.

Ack attack ,

Ive had the same observations...used to use a Jake. I olny had young birds comming in...switched to a full strut tom and that seems to work well !!

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:41 am

I use a DSD feeder hen along with a stationary hen with a pertty boy full strut tom...Looking into getting a dsd full strutt tom

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:44 pm

burkhart wrote:Its strange i ve had oppisites encounters ive had several birds come into about 75 yards and just stare at the B mobile... but ive also had hens walk up to it and laydown.. very mixed bag however my DSD jake and hen or any jake and hen combo has always served me well as my decoy spread.

Single hen decoy worked but it usually took the gobblers alot longer to come in. they spend alot of time showing themselves off... i always felt the jake decoy gave a little extra motivation to the gobbler to come in.

Thing is John my strutter actually looks more realistic than my DSD jake did.....makes all the difference in the world.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”