Mouth Calls

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter_mike

Mouth Calls

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue May 13, 2014 8:14 am

Probably every year I get a new mouth call. Seems like they usually sound really good for the first couple of hours of use and then they wear out. Its kind of annoying spending money on something and having it wear out sooner than you expected. Any recommendations on durable, nice sounding mouth calls?

This year I spent a little extra on my mouth calls because i thought i would get what i would pay for but that was not the case. seems like they all end up sounding the same after a few hours of use.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
JJWI

Re: Mouth Calls

Unread postby JJWI » Tue May 13, 2014 9:52 am

Woodhaven makes a good mouth call. They hold up good and keep their pitch after getting warm. The one I like the best was their Red Wasp. It was easy to use and sounded crisp. I always liked the Quaker Boy old Boss Hen. I just picked one up this week, and going to give it a run this next week. Will see how it holds up.
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Tue May 13, 2014 11:15 am

For calls, look into smaller, custom companies. There calls are much more consistent and not any more costly. I have found that other than Woodhaven, the bigger companies have zero consistency. Meaning I can buy multiple of the same model and they all run and sound different. Woodhaven is consistent, but they're also $12. Custom companies give you very consistent and good sounding calls. My favorite is Gooserbat, but I have also had good luck with Houndstooth and Hooks.

Now for care. When your done for the day, run your call under cool tap water and pat dry. Then store in your refrigerator. What I have also recently learned is that while not in use, you should gently insert a toothpick between the reeds to keep them separated. I get two seasons out of my calls.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Tue May 13, 2014 12:25 pm

check out Jeff Fredrick custum calls on the internet. all iv been using for years and they sound amazing all year long! the best I found out there
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue May 13, 2014 1:18 pm

Put the call in your cheek when you get out of the truck and let it there. Only take it out to eat. Within 20mins it will sound new. When your done end of day put some water in your mouth, swish it then spit it out. Now take the call and stick a tootpick between the reeds. Bet your calls will sound good again. You can also soak them in mouth wash, rinse good then put the seperators in it. The reeds are getting stuck.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue May 13, 2014 3:02 pm

thank you for all the input. I'm going to try all of this stuff, never heard of the toothpick thing.
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Wed May 14, 2014 12:35 am

The more I think about it, the more it sounds like stuck reeds. Definitely try the toothpick trick. Make sure you wet it first so it slides in nice.

Here is a good video:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yve9ZkQZIws

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed May 14, 2014 10:41 am

Whoever said my reeds were stuck was right. Wow thanks! I no longer sound like a rubber chicken. Cant believe i did not figure that one out!

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”